[CHAPTER ELEVEN]

i'm in love with your brother.
____________________

YOU KNOW THAT you love someone when they're the only thing running through your brain

YOU KNOW THAT you love someone when they're the only thing running through your brain. When you think of them even when you're not with them. And when you're finally with them, nothing else matters. They daze you, confuse you, but in the end, they're still the only one that makes your heart flutter the way that it does.

But what hurts the most is when you realize that the person you love doesn't love you back.

And the boy I loved, was standing in front of my best friend with a bouquet of crimson-red roses.

Carl's eyes met mine for what seemed like an eternity, until I glanced away because I felt my eyes sting. I blinked back tears as Lola asked, "are you okay?"

I didn't answer, as I shifted my gaze to Carl.

"Thanks for persuading me to ask—hey, you doing okay?" Carl stopped to push the hair away from my face, as my bloodshot eyes met his blue-green ones once again.

"I'm fine!" I shot back, not realizing how loud I said it. Carl pulled his hand away, furrowing his brows together in a mix of hurt and confusion. All at once, I could feel everyone's eyes on me, the room falling into complete silence except for the occasional murmuring and whispering between fellow students.

"Fuck." I whispered harshly under my breath, realizing the commotion that I had caused. I felt tears forming in the corners of my eyes, but I didn't want to show weakness. I squeezed my eyes shut, though this caused the salty tears to roll down my flustered cheeks. I quickly cursed at myself again, letting my gaze fall to the ground. "Forget it. Have fun with Lola."

I shoved my way past the crowd again, this time more aggressive, causing some people to whisper about me—I did my best to ignore them, storming off in the direction of the girls' restroom. In the back of my head, I could hear Carl's voice echoing "Wait, Noelle!" but I ignored him too.

I rammed the door open, wiping the tears from my cheeks as I did so. I gripped the sides of the sink, leaning over it and letting my hair fall in front of my face.

I paused, then kicked the cement wall all of the energy left in me. I kicked it again, pulling on my hair in frustration. "Fuck!"

I took a deep breath, exhaling shakily. My gaze shifted to the mirror, where I stared at my broken expression—my eyes dark, my face pale, but my cheeks a bright red, stained with dried tears.

The door swung open, and a familiar voice called "Nelly?"

I turned my head to see Debbie, who dropped her backpack and her textbooks once she realized I had been crying. I let out a short gasp, throwing myself into her arms. I buried my head in her shoulder, letting my tears wet her shirt. She didn't question a thing, just held me in her arms.

"I'm in love with your brother." I admitted, my voice broken and cracked.

"I know." Debbie finally released me from her grasp, giving me a small smile. "It's obvious. He loves you back, you know."

I let out a short laugh. "He doesn't. He wouldn't have asked Lola to prom if he did."

Debbie sighed at this, not knowing what to say.

"W-Why would she say yes if she knew that I liked him?" I asked no one in particular, threading my eyebrows together. I ran a hand through my hair, beginning to pace the floor.

"Noelle, I don't know why he would ask her, I'll admit that I don't know the answer to that question. But I know that Carl loves you more than anyone. I swear to God, he talks about you all the fucking time. It gets annoying sometimes." Debbie laid a comforting hand on my shoulder. I smiled at what she said.

"Hey, why don't we go to prom together?" Debbie asked, as her face lit up. "We could go dress shopping, get ready together, forget about Carl and Lola. Sound good?"

A pause lingered in the air, before I nodded slightly. "Okay. I'll go to prom with you."

- ♡ -

please read (:
hey hey hey helloo i'm sorry that this chapter was so short but since y'all wanted me to update, here it is :) this is kind of a filler ? but next episode is the actual promotion dance and sum real shit's gonna go down, also dw carl and lola aren't going to be a permanent thing ;) and to clear things up, carl hasn't had feelings for noelle at all. sucks ik but basically it's like carl thinking about her in a best friend way, but noelle thinks he's sending signals and shit so she likes him. anyways i love u guys and thank u so fucking much for 5.5k, see yall in the next update kate xo