Chapter 3

I wake up to the unpleasant buzz of my phone, sitting across from me on my bedside table. I blink open my eyes and attempt to answer my phone, but end up unable to as it drags itself all the way to the edge of the table, and drops to the floor.

After I finally manage to grab hold of the phone and answer it, I scan the number. Unknown.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Hello?" A man says, sounding as confused as I am.

"Who is this?" I repeat myself, wondering if it could be who i think it is.

"Josh. Is this Piper?"

Where did he get my phone number?

"Yeah... Why are you calling so early?"

"Piper, it's already 1 pm. You can't tell me you just woke up."

I look up at my cat- clock (A gift from Ivy) to see that it is indeed 1:34 pm.

"Okay, besides that, why are you calling me?"

"Well, before I say this I just need to clarify that what I'm going to tell you does not mean I'm letting you start going off investigating on your own."

So he really has considered him letting me help?

"I need your help with something, but only this one thing, after this you can't help at all. I won't tell you anything more, got it?"

"Got it," I say, forcing a grin back.

"I'm serious,"

"I know," I say, and I don't lie. I know how seriously he takes his job, especially compared to how he is otherwise.

"Good. Now I need you to help me out with a suspect. I've been keeping an eye on this person for a while. The only problem is that they aren't officially a suspect yet,  the other officers don't agree with my theory."

I knew I would find out the other suspects eventually.

"So that's the other suspect. What's their name?"

"Julia Bryan. She has other fake identities, but that's her main one. I'm not sure of her real name."

"Okay, so what do I need to do?"

"Julia Bryan has an interview set at 3:29 pm today in the city. I need you to make sure she gets this job, can you do that?"

What?

"How?" I need clarification for these kinds of things.

"The person set to interview her, we've taken care of that, so all you need to do is get out professional looking clothes. You get the easy part, really. We need to make sure she gets the job, so that we can monitor what she's doing. If she's there the day of the next crime, at the same time, we know it can't possibly be just her. She would need an accomplice."

"And you expect me to just know how to do this?" Sometimes people overestimate me, and it irritates me. I don't just know everything.

"You can google it."

I sigh audibly, hoping he realizes how much pressure he's putting on me. "Fine."

"Thank you."

And with that the, call ends.