Chaper 1: Someone

I looked at my white sweater. It was a gift from my mom when I was 10. She told me she wore this every prom, and she always kept it in perfect condition.

My mom was good at that, keeping everything in perfect condition. Perfect routine, perfect amount of food, perfectly clean house.

And now that she's gone, everything is ruined.

I grabbed my fuzzy pink sweater and dark green miniskirt and slipped into them. A combed my shoulder-length, curly pink hair and put on a green headband. Of course, a tiny pink curl stayed there on my forehead. I tied on my black boots and walked out into the kitchen.

I took an apple from the empty fridge and bit into the crispy goodness. Nothing like an apple to lift your spirits for 5 minutes.

I looked in the mirror above my tan couch. Two green eyes stared back at me. For a 16 year old, I was small. I also didn't have ache, just lots of freckles. Lots.

Being only 5 feet tall isn't fun when you're surrounded by kids 6 feet tall. Everyone in my school, Thomas High School, is a giant. THS is known for their pro basketball players, volleyball players, and football players. If you aren't athletic, you're either a genius kid, a rich kid, or an emo kid who sits near the garbage can during lunch.

Then there's me.

No matter what group you fit into, you at least have another person with you. Someone just like you, who shares common interests. A "friend."

I don't have any friends. I'm my own person. My own stereotype. My own group. Me: Rai Dadama.

My mother and father had me in Tokyo, Japan. My father was Japanese and my mother was American. However, for some reason, I never met my father. My mom and I moved into the small state Rhode Island in a two bedroom apartment. For a long time, we were happy.

Until recently.

Police came to the apartment a few weeks ago, saying my mother died in a car crash. She was in a taxi, and a drunk driver crashed into the two, killing both on impact.

Since all my family lives in Japan now, I'm stuck here alone. Stuck in the middle of a stupid state that's only good thing is coffee milk.

I grabbed my bag and walked out the door and headed towards the bus stop. The normal people were here.

"Hey, shorty, how's the weather down there?" Jessica Tony smirked at me. She and her twin brother, Parker, were the only high schoolers in my school that were amazing at volleyball. They were both around 6 feet and 7 inches tall. They had short brown hair and blue eyes. Jessica's was a little longer, and put in a bun.

"Pretty good. How's the sun feel?" I asked her, not affected by their dumb comments anymore.

"It feels great! I can feel myself growing even taller!" Parker suddenly put his elbow on me, and pushed me down. "Man! I'm already 3 feet taller!"

I growled, rubbing my aching head as Parker and Jessica whispered things to each other. Suddenly, I heard laughing behind me.

I turned around, only to see the other kids just talking about the latest game that came out. They weren't laughing though. They all looked really serious.

I sighed and stood up as the bus headed this way. I got on and sat up front, and looked out the window. I didn't have a fancy iPhone 8 like everyone else, or a laptop, or a tablet. I just had my notebooks and pencils. And imagination. I closed my eyes and just thought.

Today was free day. Free day was a day we had every quarter. It happened 2 times per quarter. Basically, do what you want day. Take your classes like normal, study, talk with friends, ect. As long as it was school friendly, it was allowed. We had this because teachers gave us 3 hours of homework every night, along with normal studying and daily exercise. So, they gave us days to just relax, and have no homework.