The Ones That Got Away

Skylar's P.O.V

I was walking and talking with Zuri when Gladys was about to announce something."Attention, campers!"Gladys shouted through her megaphone."Today is the 97th annual Camp Kikiwaka fishing contest."Gladys announced.Everyone clapped and cheered.

"So, hurry up and find yourself a partner.Something I wish I done years ago."Gladys said."Wow! Winning this contest would look great on my application."Tiffany said."Your application for college or for working at a bait and taco shop?"Zuri asked her.

"Hey, the Aville wants to see that your well rounded so right now, I'm all about that bass."Tiffany said.I looked at her weirdly."The team that catches the biggest fish gets to be excused from chores for one whole week."Gladys said.

Everyone clapped and cheered once more."Boooo!"Ravi said.We all looked at him."I actually enjoy chores.Alphabetizng the lost n' found is the highlight of my day."Ravi told us."Which is just sad, by the way."I said.

"If you find my hopes and dreams in there, let me know."Gladys said, looking like she was about to cry.Everyone walked away to go find their partners."Hey Ravi, Skylar, wanna come with me to get Big Whiskers?"Lou asked us.

"Sure, Lou."I replied."Yes!A thousand times yes!"Ravi exclaimed."I have tried every mustache growing ointment known to man!"Ravi said.I gave him a weird look."Oh, this is not about facial hair, is it?"Ravi asked her."No,"Lou said.R Ravi looked down at the ground in embarrassment.

"Big Whiskers is a catfish I've been trying to catch for 8 years."Lou said."Last time he got away, he took my finger with him."Lou told us, holding up her hand."You still have 5 fingers."I told her."I used to have 6."she said.

Me and Ravi gave her a shocked look."He actually did me a favor.I can wear gloves now!"Lou said happily."It would be nice to win at a camp related sport.Crushing the macrame tournament did not get me the street cred I hoped for."Ravi told us.

"Hey, Emma!Wanna partner up for the competition?"Xander asked."Absolutely!"she replied."Great.Ready to do some freshwater fishing?"He asked her."Freshwater, sparkling water, you name it.I'll even throw in a twist of lime."she said.

"Cool."he said, walking away."OMG!Xander just asked me out on a fishing date."Emma said to Lou."We get to spend all day in a canoe together.It'll be so romantic."she said, looking up in imagination.

"So, did you get Mr.Right to partner with?"Emma asked Lou."I teamed up with Ravi and Skylar."she said, motioning over to us.We waved at them."I am so sorry.And don't you think that a kid on the date is kinda gonna kill the mood?"Emma said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ravi, Lou, and I were standing in the lake by the camp grounds.I had to put on overalls over what I was wearing.And I had to change into some rubber fishing boots.We got in the water."Um, before we begin, will you guys teach me how to use this fishing rod?"Ravi asked us.

"Absolutely! Here's your first lesson."Lou replied.She took the fishing rod and handed it to me and I threw it onto shore."Is the fish supposed to climb on shore and bite the hook? Because that is asking an awful lot."Ravi said.

"Nope.We're gonna fish the natural way."I told him."I refuse to take my clothes off!"Ravi said."What the-no!That's not why we're talking about."I told him."Were talking about hand fishing."Lou told him and I nodded.

"My grandpa, Clem, taught me.We had so much fun.He'd do a little happy dance with every fish he caught."Lou said, pulling us into it."Aww, he sounds adorable."Ravi said."And then he wrap his hand around it's neck and watch the lights go put in it's eyes."Lou finished darkly.