Our pasts

It was almost an hour after the last bell, about 3 weeks later, when Cassian walked out of the school building only to find Jyn sitting alone on the bottom steps. 'Mind if I join you?' He asked.

She jumped slightly, surprised by his arrival. 'Yeah, sure, go ahead...' she mumbled and Cassian sat down.

'What are you still doing here?' He asked.

Jyn scoffed slightly. 'I could ask you the same thing.'

'I'm on the debate team... we had a meeting.'

She looked up at him with an "Are you serious face".

'What?!' he asked, feeling like he was being judged.

'The debate team? You thought that volunteering at the center wouldn't make you enough of a dork already, you decided to join the debate team?'

Cassian shrugged. 'Well, I didn't make the track team this year, so I thought I'd give it a try.'

Jyn rolled her eyes. 'Don't you like free time or something?'

'I want to become a detective, and admittance to the academy is kinda strict, so I'll take anything that might help me get in.'

Jyn sighed, mentally kicking herself. 'I'm Sorry.'

'That's okay. Now tell me, why are you still here?'

Jyn sighed. 'I just really didn't want to go back to the center, today. I just can't handle having all those kids run around. I needed a change of environment.'

Cassian nodded. 'So how about my house?'

She looked up, puzzled. 'What?'

Cassian smiled. 'Well, it's about to start raining soon, thunder predicated for later tonight so you can't stay here sitting on the steps of the school. So if you need a change of environment, how about you come over to my house. You could stay for dinner, Maria always way too much food anyway. It's a Mexican thing.' He chuckled slightly.

Jyn, still surprised by the offer just looked up at Cassian and nodded. 'Yeah, that'd be great.' She finally managed to say.

Cassian got up and pulled Jyn up from the steps as well. Together they walked towards Cassian's car and got in.

'Is this your own car?!'

Cassian nodded. 'Yeah... I went from hopeless foster kid to being adopted by a couple living in the fanciest neighborhood in town...' He rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed.

'Lucky you.'

Cassian smiled as he started the car and drove home. 'I'll have to warn you, we do have one kid running around the house. Maria and Alejandro adopted me because they hadn't had any luck having kids themselves. And then about 4 month before my official adoption they found out Maria was pregnant.'

'Isn't that usually when the foster kid gets sent back into the system?'

Cassian nodded. 'I was afraid of that, as well. When they found out I thought that, they pretty much got mad at me for even thinking it. Told me I was just as much part of the family as the baby on the way. And to prove it they let me name her.'

'What did you name her?'

'Carmen.'

'Pretty.'