A new home

Over the next 3 days, Jyn barely saw Cassian at all. He had meetings with the debate team each lunch break, nor was she able to spot him in the hall. On Friday when Jyn finally saw him again, the smile which first plastered her face was soon replaced with a deep frown. He was sitting at his usual lunch table with Kay and Bodhi, but their usual smiles were absent. All the attention was focused on Cassian's black eye, the swollen cut on his lips, the bruises on his knuckles and a small bloody gash at the top of his forehead. She took a deep breath and nearly ran over to them. She slammed her tray onto the table, making the boys turn their attention towards her.

'What the hell happened?!' She demanded.

Receiving a very awkward look from Bodhi, who desperately wanted to be anywhere but where he was. Kay shrugged and turned his attention back on his food.

'Please, calm down, Jyn. I'm fine...'He started, but she cut him off.

'Fine?! Interesting definition of that word you have.'

He sighed, obviously annoyed that she wouldn't let him finish. He looked at her and she sat down with a sigh, realizing she needed to listen.

'They were teaching us boxing during PE. I was put up against the linebacker of the football team.'

'And things got ugly, fast.' Kay too added.

'Yes, thanks, kay.' Cassian sighed. 'He started calling me names, saying I was a pathetic orphan, and then he started about my parents. Saying that they must be happy to have died because at least it meant they had gotten rid of me.' He sighed again, thinking back to the moment. 'And then I snapped. I guess it's not hard to guess who won the fight.'

Jyn could see the shame in Cassian's eyes. He was mad at himself for giving in to the situation, letting the other guy taunt him enough to start fighting. She reached across the table and took his hand.

'You're an idiot for getting into that fight.' She smiled slightly.

Cassian chuckled. 'Yeah, I am. Means I got detention this afternoon as well.'

'Well, at least that means I won't be there by myself.' Kay stated.

'What did you do this time?' Bodhi asked.

'I broke into the school's system to change the lunch menu...'

Cassian rolled his eyes and Bodhi tried to hide his laughter.

'So what is the situation with you two?' Kay asked, pointing at Jyn and Cassian's hands, still joined together.

They quickly pulled back their hands, and Cassian looked down, avoiding his friend's gaze.

'Nothing.' Jyn stated.

'Yeah right.' Bodhi added. 'You obviously are dating, or at least have feelings for each other, I mean look at...'

Cassian didn't wait for Bodhi to finish, he stood up, pulled Jyn up by her wrist and walked towards the far end of the cafeteria.

'What the hell was that about, Cassian?!' Jyn yelled when Cassian finally stopped.

'I was just about to ask the same thing.' Jyn didn't know why, but Cassian seemed slightly angry. 'We kissed yesterday and both admitted that we liked each other, and you call it nothing.'