I

Nadine's body ached and head pounded as she thought about upcoming events. Whenever her stress or anxiety increased, she could always tell because her body reacted. Her back hurt, pimples formed on her face, and she most likely wouldn't get any sleep that night. Throwing off her schedule even more. Tomorrow was the first day of school and she wasn't excited. While majority of the people in her senior class kept in touch, she didn't get to spend much time with the few friends she had. Dealing with the pressure of picking a good college and getting in made hanging out improbable.

Today everybody went to the school to pick up their schedules and meet their teachers. Nadine, however, did not have too. She discussed her scheduling with her guidance counselor the year before. Nadine wasn't worried about not graduating or grades. She had that in the bag. Her anxiety was that she'd have to present in front of the class or that something unpredictable would occur. An assignment, something in her family, or with her peers at school.

She laid in her bed staring at the ceiling and fiddling with her thumbs. Her room was pitch black. The only light source being the street lights. It was quiet. The wind didn't blow and not a single bird chirped. If she were crazy, she'd think she was the only thing on earth. Everything calm, but her mind was running a mile a minute. She sat up from her bed, letting her toes touch the cold hardwood floor, and tiptoed to her door. Slowly she opened the door peeking out. There weren't any signs of activity. Continuing down the steps, she walked on the side closest to the rail. She remembered reading somewhere that if you did the stairs wouldn't creak as much. Rubbing the goosebumps on her arms away, she walked in the kitchen reaching her final destination. The fridge. Opening it she grabbed her favorite dessert, cookies n' cream ice cream, and a spoon. Somehow ice cream helped soothe her. Nadine always got her best ideas while eating ice cream. Only cookies n' cream ice cream. She plunged her tablespoon into the thick dessert. Grateful nobody heard her creeping down the stairs. Just as she was relaxing and thought she was in the clear the lights flicked on.

Her dad stood at the threshold wearing a shirt and basketball shorts. Staring at his daughter caught red handed a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth and the tub in her arms. Nadine knew her dad wouldn't punish her; although, she felt embarrassed. Her head hung low, but her father only shook his head and laughed. "Nina, mon bébé, you are a beautiful perfect young girl, but you cannot eat ice cream whenever you're feeling any emotion but happy. It's not good for you physically and mentally. Why don't you eat asparagus? Or beans! Something good for your colon." Nadine perked up when she heard his playful tone. Her dad was fifty years of age, but looked more in his late thirties. With dark skin and tattoos covering his arms and his dreads pulled into a ponytail. He was all about exercise and Nadine...not so much, but he never forced his lifestyle on her. He was always supportive.

"Yes it is. I get my best ideas when eating ice cream." Her father grabbed a spoon and ate the ice cream with her.

"Well I don't know about that, but I know you like to eat ice cream when something's bothering you. What's troubling you kiddo?" Nadine let out a breath.

"Nothing." Her father mocked her.

"Nothing."

"Dad!" She giggled. "It's just school and stuff."

"Yeah school and stuff I can relate." She only laughed again at her dad.

"I'm just nervous about this year. It's my second year here dad."

"I know, but at least it's your last year, and you had a whole year to adjust."

"I know, but I hate it here. It's nothing like home. Out of all places we had to come to America? Our ancestors would've killed to leave, but we come here by choice?"