Chapter 21: Breathe

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 21

'Breathe'

The days that passed were long and torturous. Time seemed to pass much slower and every breath Jasmine took seemed to be more difficult. She understood why her grandma kept all of that tragedy a secret, still Jasmine partly hated her for not telling her the truth. Waking up every morning, feeling her heart constrict painfully in her chest, Jasmine was growing impatient. She wanted the pain to go away – was desperate for it even – but the hole in her heart stayed as big as it was the day she found out the truth.

“We’re almost home,” Lucas informed her, squeezing her knee with one hand while his other gripped the wheel. They’d left the airport half an hour ago and were currently driving home to the Wood mansion. As far as Jasmine knew, her parents’ debt had been paid and she no longer had to worry about her life being in danger.

It should’ve come as a relief, but instead she felt incredibly guilty. She’d listened to Lucas and pushed away all thoughts about avenging her parents. That didn’t mean, however, that she’d accepted the fact that those men would get away unharmed. It made her feel weak that she didn’t fight harder to get those men in prison. Sadly, she also understood where Lucas was coming from. Going after her parents’ murderers would probably put her life – and the lives of her loved ones – in danger.

Jasmine wouldn’t be able to live with herself if something happened to any of her friends because she was too stubborn to let go of her hatred. That realization brought her some peace of mind, but not nearly enough to sleep at night. She still laid awake for hours, restlessly tossing and turning in bed.

“Get out of the car, princess,” Lucas whispered, his fingertips touching her cheek as he watched her worriedly. Lucas had tried his best to fight her demons the past couple days, but his attempts turned out to be futile. Jasmine couldn’t let go of her anger and hurt, not yet anyway.

Looking out the window, Jasmine realized they’d arrived at the Wood estate. Honestly, she’d been too far gone to notice. The past days went by in a blur, she barely remembered what she did. It was kind of scary to be honest. Nodding at Lucas, Jasmine pushed the door handle down and got out of the car. A sigh left her lips as she gazed at her home. It felt good to be back, better than she expected.

Being back in Florida, in the town she grew up had been nice, but she realized it no longer felt like home. Without her grandma nothing kept her there. It was just a house, a neighborhood she knew well. In California she had a family and friends she cared deeply about. Jasmine realized a home wasn’t a house, a neighborhood or even a town. It was people, people you cared about, people that cared about you. And damn, it felt good to be home. 

“Princess,” Lucas whispered, his fingers sliding through hers, intertwining them. Jasmine looked up to see him smiling softly at her. “You ready?”

Smiling softly, Jasmine nodded in agreement. Lucas had been so extremely supportive and thoughtful the past few days. It made Jasmine feel warm on the inside. He obviously cared deeply about her. She didn’t need to hear him say it to know he loved her. Still, Jasmine wasn’t ready to utter those three little words. It made her feel vulnerable.

“Beware, my mom has been asking constantly about you. She’ll probably jump you the moment you walk into the house,” Lucas grinned, squeezing her hand reassuringly.

He wasn’t wrong. The moment Jasmine set foot over the threshold, Gabriella appeared out of nowhere and pulled Jasmine into her arms, squeezing her so tightly Jasmine couldn’t breathe. Clearly someone had missed her. “Oh darling, I’m so glad you’re home,” the woman sighed in relief, brushing her fingers through Jasmine’s ebony locks.