Chapter Two

All around me the students merged into their respective cliques. There were a few parents milling about, mostly for the freshmen, but other than that, registration day was considered a hang-out day. The first chance to see old friends, a chance to raise hell, and in my case, a chance to get a little breathing room.

Dad dropped Marie and I off about thirty minutes ago before driving away. Like normal, Marie had abandoned me at first chance before calling one of her own friends. Scanning the concrete walls, I continued my walk down the dilapidated hallway. My path went unnoticed other than a few curious stares, most likely due to my reputation.

You see, there are people without soulmates. Much less common of course, but they do exist. Normally it's because their soulmate died or they lost the bond. All in all, a heartbreaking event. Which I apparently had taken a part in. Without consent, of course.

Soulmate registration is important. It's required by law, it's printed on all health files, and it's your emergency contact in case of an accident. It was also one of the first questions my father had to answer when I transferred to this school. In the end, the whole thing was just another lie my parents had shoved me into.

According to the student records, I didn't have a soulmate.

While the information was supposed to stay with the administration, Marie had taken the new development and ran with it. My whole freshman year had been filed with curious gawks and faux sympathetic looks. But this was my junior year. By now my condition was an old, uninteresting topic.

I merged into the crowded cafeteria, keeping an eye out for Marie. Even though she was a year older than me, and despised the very mention of my name, I tried to look out for her. She'd never been dealt a punishment and her world view hadn't been altered by my mother's tongue. While I'm glad she was spared, sometimes I worry her view is too hopeful. She hasn't seen the darkness of our world and I'm scared she will.

When my eyes landed on her head, I finally continued the rest of the way into the mob. Apparently the new trend this year was crop tops because all around me laid bare midriffs. I quickly looked away, trying to suppress the blush on my cheeks. While I had never been a prude, it felt awkward to observe the other girls in such a way.

Sparing a glance down at my own shirt, I tugged at the worn-out tee. It had been a purchase at the local thrift store for a whopping 45 cents. My shorts were a hand me down from Marie, so at least half of my outfit matched with the current culture. It wasn't cute, but it was doable. So long as I kept an eye out for the prickly vice principle.

Mr. McCoy. The man was a presence in every students nightmares. He made it his mission to enforce every rule possible, whether it be outdated or not. In fact, during my sophomore year, the vice principle had cornered me in the hall. Over the years of parental torture, I thought I'd built a strong backbone, but one look from that man had me shaking in fear. His lashing tongue had speared me and his eyes had looked me over in disgust. As if I was the whore I've been painted as.

That was the first time I'd cried in school. So far, it'd also been the last.

Now I stood in a line, waiting for my schedule. It wasn't long, thankfully, but there were several students merging about. None of them held my eye for more than a second. The line moved forward and I moved with it.

It was times like this that I longed for my soulmates. It always happened when the loneliness sank into my bones. Seeing everyone with their friends and knowing that they were just a thought away from their soulmates stung. I didn't have that option. My world was composed of my family, limited acquaintances, and a numbing silence in my mind.

I'd like to say I wasn't depressed. I'd like to say that everything was moving along fine. If I could lie, I'd say I have plans buried deep in my closets. Dreams of running away, maps of foreign places, pictures of people I'd meet one day. Unfortunately, none of that was true. My dreams were just as bleak as I felt my current circumstances were.

I had slipped into a survival of the fittest mentality and I wasn't one of the fittest.

The only bright side, if it could even be considered a bright side, was that the depression might be a side effect of the pills. Of course those little yellow demons would drive someone insane, especially with prolonged use. I could only hope that when I finally stopped taking them that my heart and mind would work together again.

Another student passed by with their schedule and now I stood face to face with the counselor. Her beady eyes scanned over my outfit before asking for the registration paperwork. When I handed it to her, her eyes lit up with recognition and she offered the same pity filled expression I'd received before. I hated it. I hated it all sometimes.

I kept my eyes down as I retrieved my schedule.

In books and movies, life changing events happen in a second. They happen so fast that the main character doesn't even notice them. Maybe they held a door open for a handsome stranger. Maybe they saved a lonely dog on the side of the road. It could be as simple as a hello or as terrifying as a gunshot.

If I had known had much my life would change by simply turning around, I wouldn't have done it. In my current mind set, I would have never wanted everything that followed. The running, the punishments, the love, everything that this pivotal moment brought.

I turned too quickly. I should have just stepped to the side, but no, in my self-pity, I had the biggest error of my recent life. I wouldn't learn until later why the boy was standing so close to me. I wouldn't understand why he hadn't simply moved out of the way. Because as I spun around and slammed into his chest, my life was going to change completely.

The boy was tall. Actually, tall wouldn't be the best adjective to use. More like mammoth, burly, muscular. All around huge. His eyes were narrowed down at me and his mouth was set into a firm line. The short black hair that topped off his head completed his overwhelming persona. My observation was broken as my nose slammed into his black clad chest.

As my nose started to sting, I whispered out a mortified, "Excuse me."

If I hadn't ran away, I would have seen the boy stiffen. If my heart hadn't been pounding out of my chest, I might have hung around long enough to understand what just occurred. Instead I ducked and dived through the student body as my cheeks slowly began to pink. It's the first day and I'm already making a fool out of myself.

Back at the registration table, North Taylor was distracted from staring after the girl by the counselor calling his name. An annoyed growl crawled out of his throat, but he stomped forward anyway. He threw the papers onto the table with a scowl. That little blonde's voice had sounded suspiciously like the one they hadn't heard in years...

While the lady scanned over Luke's and his papers, North studied her desk. There was a sheet of names with tally marks, a pile of registration paperwork, and a jumble of yet to be delivered schedules. At least one of those had promise. Taking a step closer, his academy trained eyes were able to read the poorly scrawled signature at the bottom of the blonde's paper work. Richard Sorenson.

Ignoring the lady's questions and possibly damning himself in her books, North interrupted by snatching their schedules out of her hand.

As he marched away he pulled out his phone. The text was simple.

Sent: If ur in ur office, look up Sorenson for me.

(Received) Blackborne: May I ask why, Mr. Taylor?

Sent: got a hunch.