Chapter Eleven

Things were turning out to be oddly normal considering the circumstances.

For all intents and purposes, it appeared the boys had slowed down their overwhelming infiltration on my life. This was of course omitting the new presences that dotted the entirety of my schedule. While it was only now just becoming time to begin fourth period, each of my classes in the earlier part of the afternoon either had a new face or a new addition to its masses.

Luke and North took over homeroom. Then Kota and Luke had my first period, while North secured my second. Gabriel remained in my third period and unlike the day before, there weren't any unsightly nosebleeds to hamper our conversation. Not once had they mentioned the elephant in the room and their previous investigations into my personal life were graciously left forgotten.

All in all, I could applaud their efforts.

Luke was right. They were trying.

While it was still a bit unsettling to examine the methods they may have used to integrate into the classes, mostly I felt sorry for the boys who'd been relegated to my fourth period. Home economics was a requirement for all upper level girls and, as such, many boys didn't see the need to take the class.

Which meant I wasn't surprised when I caught every head turn as three attractive members of the male specimen ducked through the door.

Instead of falling into the hazy trance of hormonal approval radiating from the rest of the population, I observed the way the group moved into the classroom. It was well coordinated, something that either came naturally to them or had been practiced throughout the years.

Luke took the front, his blonde hair tucked behind both ears and a dopey grin stretching through his cheeks. His steps were confident and assured, no hesitance in his movements. Gabriel and Silas were a step behind him, both lacking the enthusiasm their friend portrayed. Gabriel entered slowly, hands tucked into his pockets in faux ease, but the quick flickering of his gaze gave away his observation.

Silas didn't attempt to be discrete. He lumbered into the room, ducking under the low doorway before trailing his stare over the assembled group. A tightness puckered the corners of his lips at the attention, but it eased when his inquiring chocolate gaze met my own.

I didn't want to admit to myself that their presence soothed my anxiety in equal measures.

"Sang!" Voice echoing over the new silence of the classroom, Luke took the chance to scurry in my direction, "How's your day been?"

Gabriel and Silas followed at a slower pace, Gabriel scoffing as he collapsed into the open chair to my left, "Would have been better if we hadn't got a shit ton of homework. It's the second day of fucking classes, they need to chill out."

"You knew this would happen when you came," a slow smile blossomed between Silas's cheeks. He rested his palms on the laminated table between us, "It should be easy enough."

"Well, shit, I know that— doesn't mean I want to fucking do it though."

Luke took the moment to intercept the conversation, but I kept my focus on Silas. It was the first chance I had to see the colossal boy since our fateful encounter this morning. It was still so odd to examine the different boys that held a piece of my soul. There was something almost otherworldly about their existence and it was hard to tear my gaze away from Silas's smile.

My stare didn't go unnoticed. One of his heavy brows lifted in surprise before a grin transformed his face, "Hello, Sang. How are you?"

I merely blinked at him. His voice had a lilting quality to it, lulling my senses into a strange tranquility. It was a struggle to formulate sufficient thought, "It was— uh— good, it was good."