Bad Luck Magnet

Like always, wherever I went, whoever I am with, I always bring bad  luck to them.
The bad things always happens to the people around me, not to me. I wish it happened to me.
I'm scared to get close but I hate being alone. However, if isolation means salvation, I shall succumb to it.

It's that time of the year again.. wearing a scarf and my usual winter uniform to school, I stop and look up to the sky. Snow finally began to fall. I open my palm to catch one.. and as soon as it lands on my skin, it perishes quietly.

"Oi, Alleria!" All of a sudden, my spacing out was interrupted by a familiar voice. I turned around to look at the direction where the voice came from.

"Yuu-chin?" I muttered my childhood friend's nickname. The nickname that I myself gave him.

He's the usual Yuu-chin I've always known. Cheerful, energetic and always kind. He runs up to me, his uniform a bit messed up. I remember now, we are supposed to walk to school together today.

"What's the matter, Yuu-chin?" I took a step forward and fixed his scarf so he will look neat. "There you go!" Slightly.. cheerfully, I said and smiled at him.

"Thanks. Oh, it's not 'Yuu-chin', Ria-chin! We're already in 2nd year high school, Ria-chin. Call me 'Hakuryuu' not Yuu-chin." Yuu-chin says with a playful smile on his face.

"Whatever, Yuu-chin. I don't mind you calling me 'Ria-chin' as well." I close my eyes after showing him my pokerface. I turned my back on him and walked on.

Yuu-chin laughs behind me. I could still picture him in my mind laughing. His once chesnut colored hair now dyed white, it blends well with the snow. He got a "makeover" to look more intimidating for my own sake.

"Junko and the others are waiting for us. Today is our last day before our Winter Break comes!" Yuu-chin says in an energetic tone of voice as he walks after me.

I secretly glance at him by my side, underneath his sleeves, I caught glimpse of his bandages. I quickly looked away and hid the frown in my face.

"Is something bothering you, Ria?" Yuu-chin immediately noticed me. But I shook my head and faced him with a fake smile to reassure him.

"Nothing at all!" Denying my true concerns..

Hakuryuu's POV

In my eyes, I could see through your fake smiles. Your long, wavy black hair is beautiful. Your dark brown eyes are like gems to me, they sparkle and seem precious. Your skin is so white, it's smooth and clear. You're just like a doll. I hope I can be able to ease your troubled thoughts.

End of Hakuryuu's POV

Alleria's POV

Yuu-chin always gets in trouble because of me. Always...

And while I was staring into blank space and out of myself, Yuu-chin suddenly pulled me aside. My eyes widened as I was startled, but I was too shocked to speak, I was electrified and it felt like I'm too numb to move. A motorbike hit Yuu-chin instead of me.

"Yuu-chin!!!" Worried, I screamed his name after a few seconds. I ran after him as he fell down, snow on the ground caught him instead of my arms.

It was a narrow street with only a few people walking around. Why would someone drive here at all? With snow all over the road? It will be slippery and risky.

"I'm okay" Yuu-chin stands up. The right side of his uniform was scraped off and his shoulders were bleeding. The wound wasn't that deep. "Just a scratch." He said with a light smile on his face.

The motorcyclist forced his apology by leaving behind some cash.

"Look at that! We even got some cash out of him!" Yuu-chin said with a proud look on his face.

I'm still shaken by what had just happened. He is just smiling to make it seem like it's okay. It's not just a matter of being clumsy or careless. Even if I did nothing.. simply my existence brings misfortune to those around me. Thinking deeply about it.. I faced Yuu-chin with a serious face.

"It's not funny, so why are you laughing, Yuu-chin?!" Unintentionally, I yelled at him. I could not control myself that point.

"We're gonna be late, Ria. Let's go!" Still he decides to dodge my words and smile again. He takes my hand but..

I slapped his hand away from mine. I burst into tears. "You always get in trouble because of me, because I'm nothing but misfortune!" I broke down just in time, because we were in a corner of a street and it's only the two of us.

"DON'T SAY THAT!!!" Yuu-chin yelled at me all of a sudden. It was the first time he ever did that.

"Hakuryuu..?" I could only say his name.

"Listen, Alleria! Last time you pushed us away.. you pushed ME away, did I leave you? Did we, your friends, leave you? We never left you! I know what you want to say next. You want me to stay away from you. Here's my answer.. NO! That accident earlier? Alleria, that was nothing compared to my other experiences! I don't mind getting hurt for you. What matters is I am with you." Yuu-chin.. his grayish eyes screamed agony. Now he is in even more pain because of me and my selfish wish to be isolated.

I am too shaken to say a word. Yuu-chin lets out a deep sigh and embraces me tight. I'm so used to his warmth, is that why I didn't hesitate to push him away before?

"So don't cry anymore.. Ria.. I'm here for you." Yuu-chin whispers. His voice sounded like it was trembling, I couldn't see his face, but I wondered.. was he crying?

Everything in that moment seemed dramatic and at the same time, nonsense. But it's true, I bring bad luck to everyone.

Author's POV

Somewhere in a high location near the corner where the childhood friends broke down, a certain shadowed figure whispers..

"It's only the beginning of your bad luck." The disembodied voice in the dark laughs mischievously..

02/07/17 (c) Grimoirelle (previously known as SheIsAHellishAngel)