1.6

I must have fallen asleep. Although, I'm not completely sure if I did. I sit up, I'm tangled in the blankets and my hair is all matted but it feels like I've only just laid in bed for a couple of minutes.

I peak out the window and see the sun just beginning to set. Well damn, I slept for half a day. That's more than I've slept since this thing broke out. The other camps I've been at only let us sleep for four hours, and that's if you're lucky.

Groggily, I untangle myself from the bed sheets and heave myself up so I'm standing. With a yawn and a stretch, I open and walk out the bedroom door.

I walk lazily to the top of the staircase and I can hear voices bubble up from the floor below. I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen not bothered enough to see who it is.

I pour myself a cup of water and get a fright when I hear someone come up behind me. I don't show that I was scared. Instead I turn around.

"Abby," Enid says.

"Enid," I answer, turning back around to get the glass of water.

"I was just about to wake you up," she continues.

I don't answer and just start drinking.

"Carl's here, he's in the living room. There's a group meeting soon in the church," Enid says.

I finish the water and sit the cup back down on the bench.

"Okay," I reply. "Are we leaving now then?"

"Yeah."

I smooth back my hair and rub my eyes.
"Okay, lets go."

I follow Enid to the door where Carl's now leaning on.

"You shouldn't sleep during the day, there's stuff that needs to be done," he tells me.

"After all the crap I've been through today. I really don't give a damn," I answer.

"You're lucky you're even here," he says icily.

He was so happy just a few hours ago.

"Carl," Enid says, putting her hand on his arm, trying to push him through the door.

I'm never one to lose an argument.

"Really?" I smile. "Rick said I killed nearly half of the dead today, I think he wants me here."

Enid shoves Carl through the door.

"And after today, I think you want me here as well Carl," I finish.

He's outside now but I can hear him grumble. What happened since earlier, was he really so mad that I slept? Am I expected to do everything on my god damn first day at this place.

I'm angry and I'd like to think it's because this group makes me work hard but, it's really because Carl's angry at me. It hurts and I don't want it to.

I step out the door and shut it behind me.

I follow a few steps behind Carl and Enid.

Very dull lights slowly come on around the camp as the sun sets. Looking around I can see the odd pair of people walking through the streets too.

They're all going to where we're going I guess, to the church.

I trudge slowly along. Watching Carl and Enid chatter quietly and their hands occasionally brush together makes me feel sick. I'm jealous. I want that kind of closeness with somebody and all I got is a pissed off house mate and sex from some one eyed kid feeling sorry for himself.

I watch Enid as she walks. Her hair is long and thick and hangs straight. She holds her head high and strong, she looks like a fighter. I wonder who would win a fight out of me and her. I'm not proud enough to be confident in myself entirely but I can picture myself having the upper hand.

When we reach the church I absentmindedly follow Carl and Enid to a pew. I sit next to them but not close to them.

Everyone slowly fills all seats around us. Some give me looks but mostly of curiosity, they don't care.

I don't care either.

I pick at my cuticles and wait for this thing to be over. My other camps had meetings to, although, usually I ran them.

"Quiet," I heard a familiar voice command.

Everyone in the church silences and looks towards Rick who stands over us.

"We've had a good week. None dead," he continues. "Since helping out at that other camp we have more food, things are looking up. We also have Abby now."

I freeze. What the hell. I can feel the eyes on me, especially Carl's.

"She killed about fifteen walkers by herself with just two knives today," Rick says.

My head is automatically tilting down so I push it up.

"I trust her, so you guys can to." Rick keeps talking but I don't listen to whatever he's explaining now.

Well damn, Rick trusts me. I don't even trust me.

Without thinking I look over at Carl. He's looking at me. A trace of a smirk is etched in his face and I can't help but smirk back.