White Wings

I was struggling with the last part of my test, but got through it. I did it! The first few questions were very easy, but the test got harder and harder as I went along. 

Once I finished, I put my quill down and a sprite flew over and took the scroll. I turned around and saw that only a few other people were done with their test. Whoa, I finished fast! Wait, what if I finished too fast? Did I review my answers?! Oh no what if I missed one?! Now I'll never get my wings! Ok ok... Onyxia, you're ok, it's gonna be all right. 

A sprite created a seat for me to sit on behind me, so I sat down. I stretched while my back cracked. Well, gotta wait for everyone else to be done. I tried to look around, but I could only see in front of me because of a wall between me and my friends.

***

Clap Clap. Principal MayWeather clapped her hands to get all of our attention. She was flying just a few floors from the ground so everyone from the top would be able to hear her. I sat up taller in my seat and gave her my full focus. 

"Everyone has finished. The Tesla Deirid will determine your rightful wings. Now, I will come around and grant your wings through the test's magic information." 

She flew back down to the ground, starting with the first fairy in line. He looked a little nervous, but happy to be here right now. She walked over to him, a sprite brought his test to Principal MayWeather as she took the petite stick out from her hair. She waved the wand, and started speaking in another script.

"Leis an seal, deontas mé tú do chuid sciatháin féin. Go raibh tú bheannaigh le eitilt!" She pointed her wand over the boy as he bowed his head, sparks of light swirled around him, almost consuming him in bright white light. 

Once the light faded, dark brown wings sprouted from his back,  his school uniform changed to a brown tunic, baggy pants and thin shoes. Everyone in the room whispered and gasped at the process as Principal MayWeather moved on to the next student. 

***

Every one of the students payed all of their attention to everyone's transformation, all in awe. I was so intrigued by the magic that was displayed that I started to get extremely nervous when she got to the floor I was on. From the direction she was going, she was going to see Kana first, then me. 

The reason for her to have to go to every single student was so the process would be more unique to them. And so their fairy types don't get mixed up. 

Principal MayWeather finally got to Kana, who's been giddy this entire time. She said the spell once the pixie brought her test. The light caught up to Kana, consuming her whole. Once the light around her let go, her wings had literal fire sprouting from the edges. Her long, red hair was tied up with a long braid hanging down her back. She was now wearing a dress that was short in the front and long in the back, creating a gradient from red to yellow. She looked so different, I couldn't believe it.   

Before I knew it, Principal MayWeather was in front of me. My heart felt like it stopped. I was so excited about this moment, why am I nervous now? 

"Onyxia, for completing the test, I am here to grant you your wings today. Leis an seal, deontas mé tú do chuid sciatháin féin. Go raibh tú bheannaigh le eitilt!" She waved her wand and I bowed my head and felt a small tap on my hair. 

I felt the sensation of warmth around my body, I felt like I was floating, I could feel my long ponytail be lifted up as the magic spread around my body. I just couldn't open my eyes, the feeling felt so satisfying. But it only lasted a few seconds before my feet were set back on the floor. 

I opened my eyes to see Principal MayWeather's face spread with shock. I heard gasps from around the room, and I felt all the eyes of my classmates in me. 

"W-white... wings..." I heard Principal MayWeather whisper. 

I hadn't gotten the chance to see myself, so I looked down at my dress, which looked like white rose petals with splashes of a subtle lavender. My sleeves were long, but they weren't connected to my dress. Everything on me seemed to be white with pastel lavender. I held my ponytail, and brought it to my face, which was also white with violet strands at the end. 

I looked behind me to see my wings, they were white. I had never seen white wings before. They were so bright it hurt my eyes, and were shaped randomly in outward "strands". 

"Wow."  I whispered. 

I turned back to Principal MayWeather, who's face turned from shock to horror. 

"Onyxia, come with me. We need to talk. Pause the ceremony until further notice." She grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room, whispers in the hall erupted from the students. 

"Wait! W-what's going on? Where are we going?" She didn't answer my pleading questions. 

I let her drag me a little further, until we were in front of her office. She had me sit down and closed the door behind her.

"Onyxia, you're an amazing student and deserve the feeling of flight. But, your wings... are white." 

"What's the difference?"

"You know that every fairy has a different power, with different colors. The lightest color I've seen with powers are the wind and ice fairies. And... fairies without powers are seen as... unavailing." 

"So, what you're saying is..." 

"Yes, white wings means no magic. And that's why they're forbidden. I'm so sorry Onyxia, but... we have to take away your wings."