Run or Fly

"What...?" 

"I'm sorry, I have to take away your wings." 

No. No no no! I've been dreaming of this moment for years! I can't just give them up! That's like cutting off a limb! The feeling of flight shouldn't be just a one-time thing! This is a life. My life. I don't want to be seen as a Flightless! I don't want to!

"No! I won't let you!." I yelled at her, backing away.

Her face spread with disgust and rage. I had never seen her this angry ever before.

I had always looked up to her when I was little, since all grades went to this academy, but the older students actually got to meet her or talk to her. I thought she was so incredible, so powerful amd beautiful. For as long as I could see her through the halls, she was always smiling. But now wrinkles had formed around her eyes and mouth, some hairs on her hewd had turned grey, even when they were tucked neatly in a tight bun on thw top of her head. She flew with her head high, her wings were a different story.

Storm fairies were one of the rarest types of fairies. Although, white wings are obviously almost impossible to get. When we were first learning about fairy types, we were given a book with every type, meaning, power and responsibility for each fairy. If your fairy power doesn't fit with a role, you're not a fairy. We call these The Flightless.

She stood up, slamming her hands on the wooded desk in front of her, lightning erupting on her findertips.

"Onyxia, you know the rules. Any fairy without a power cannot fit in with this world. White wings mean no power."

Her voice boomed in a powerful whisper. But I was still confused as to why she needed to take away my wings.

"But, I still have wings. I should be able to fly even if I have no powers."

"Yes, but the thing about white wings, they do not posses any type of characteristic to fit to this society. That's why The Flightless do not have wings: because they were granted white wings."

I had never known that those who were flightless had white wings when they were granted. I felt pity for them, having their own limbs taken from their backs. But then I remembered that I'm in that situation right now.

I don't want these limbs that are attached to me to go away. They work like arms and legs, just with an advantage. The feeling of warmth on your back, like a backpack or armor, sheilding your back while also serving the power to defy gravity. Who wouldn't want that forever?

"I-i can't... I won't let you!" I yelled at her.

I backed away and slipped out of the room, running as fast as I could. The sprites that accompanied Principal MayWeather flew after me, but I turned corners and ran up small staircases. I knew the academy well. Even if it is a giant tree and can only go up, there were so many shortcuts and passages through the structure.

I slowed down a bit to catch my breath, I didn't recognize the hallway I was in. It was darker than the rest, less colorful, and I could only hear my own panting.
I must've gotten away from the sprites then, if it was this dark. But, it was only darker down the hallway, where I was standing there was light. I looked behind me, ready to run, but I only saw I'm wings glowing. I calmed myself down and started walking down the hallway. What if they had caught me? What if I let them take my wings?

I peaked around the corner turning to the right, light was back in my face. I wonder why this hallway was here if no one used it. Gosh Onyxia, you can't just think about these types of things when you're being chased down.

I looked left and right, the large spiral staircase that goes all the way up is my only way out. All hallways lead to it. My only problem with this plan is that: my only way to the ground, is down. I can either run, or fly. Or both.

No one seemed to be in the main area to be able to see me, so I took the chance and ran for it. Adrenaline filled my senses like a waterfall. Driving me to run faster, harder.

I hadn't ran this fast in a long time. In my younger days, I would run to race the other children to see who was faster. In this moment, I'm running to escape. There's no turning back from this point, I had yelled at my superior and refused to follow rules. If I get caught now, I might not be able to experience what no one else has!

I ran all the way to the top of the tree, building momentum as I neared the railway that went around the tree. Two tall guardians stood on both sides of the large doorway. The guardians were giant trees that guarded the doorways and protect the tree on the inside and outside.

I wasn't sure how I could do this, but I gotta think fast.

I remembered watching the oldest fairies learning how to fly. I wanted to listen so I could do it faster when my time came. First, you look up, looking down means you'll go down. Then, you focus on the muscles in your back and shoulders. Most wings are shaped with precise lines and points. Mine were shaped like a fanned out paintbrush; completely random streaks of white.

I ran to the top, everything seeming to move in slow motion. The guardians saw me running towards them, they moved over in front of the doorway, blocking my way out. One of the guardian's legs was open enough for me to run under. I ran under-

"STOP HER!" Principal MayWeather's voice boomed like thunder.

I gasped, but I didn't let her stop me. I can't let her take what's rightfully mine. I escaped the grabbing hands of the living trees, and stopped at the railing.

The tree was so tall that I could barely see the ground. I looked behind me to the guardians who were charging for me. I looked back over the railing, inhaled, and jumped.