Chapter 1

•••

•••

Autumn leaves covered the forest ground. My sneakers crunched against the brittle substance, making a cracking sound with every step I took.

The autumn air was crisp, making the tip of my nose pink. My teeth clattered a little from the cold air, my hands stuffed in my jacket.
My back pack slung over my shoulders, filled with canned goods and water bottles. My revolver was in my back pocket, moving with each step I took.

I was currently walking in the woods. Each day I walk, find a house, sleep and repeat. I'm always on the move. I don't dare stay at a house longer than a day, for I didn't want to bump into anyone. I was way better by myself if I say so myself. Even though I don't know how to shoot a gun I'm still practicing. Besides, I have my trusty dagger. I don't mind getting close and personal.

I was alone in this world. No parents, no siblings, nothing. During the outbreak, my parents died trying to save me. Ever since I kept the burden on my shoulders, blaming myself for their death. But I always pushed it back, not wanting to have the feeling again of them being shot. I knew it wasn't healthy, but I had no one else to tell. For I was alone and forsaken.

My bloody hair bounced in the ponytail it was in, almost the blonde streaks of my hair covered. I pulled my hands out of my pockets, seeing dry blood mixed with dirt. My nails contained dirt in them also, hiding behind my nail and finger.

But I didn't care, for I knew that didn't matter in this world anymore. Fog came out of my mouth, disappearing once I would stop breathing. I took in the cold crisp air, chills spreading along my body.Crackling was heard beside me, making my attention seek out towards the noise. Out of reflex, I grabbed my dagger, its reflection shimmering off from the sun.

I was only met with a roamer. The dead ones. I had no energy to kill it, for it didn't notice me. It's low growl filled my ears, the sound not foreign. It's eyes were focused a head of them, until the sound of the brittle leaves crack under me. Shit. It's head groggily turned towards me, it's jaw opening, desperate to take a bite of the warm body.

I sigh heavily, before walking towards the desperate flesh eater, its arms in front of them, broken and dead. I kicked it in its stomach, full force. The blow made the roamer fall, its arms still outstretched. I got down on my knees, the fabric material meeting the cold ground. I held its neck, taking ahold of it.

I brought my dagger out, only looking at the roamer still on the ground. This was once a person. A breathing, living person. Someone who had a family. Someone who could of have children. But the world took it away from them. All those memories were now in the past, only known as history. This could've been anyone, it could've been me. Those memories didn't matter to the one on the ground anymore.