Chapter - 1

Pulling my head off pillow, I switch off my alarm and wake up for the first day of my senior year. I groan and get up from bed and stride towards the bathroom attached to my room for a warm, soothing shower. As soon as the hot water glides down my shoulder, the laziness starts wearing off. I start thinking about the last year of my school life. It's not much to begin with. It's not like I'm a very popular girl or something. Sure I am shoo in for the valedictorian of my batch, but I'm a very unsocial girl. You know, the kind of girl who is very quiet and shy when you meet her for the first time, but only my best friends know me well. Rachel Wagner and Jade Collins.

Rachel is my childhood friend. I've known her since years. She is very jolly and a ridiculously romantic. She can be very stubborn, and she can make you want to pull your hair at times. Yes, she's that irritatingly frustrating. Trust me, you don't want to interfere while she's having her chick flick or romantic movies marathon. Also she is the best cook in the whole freaking world.

On the other hand, Jade is a very calculative girl and I've known her after she and her family moved into our town in the middle of our first year in high school. We both share the same hatred for gym class and strangely that's how our friendship began. She knows what is right and what is wrong for her. In short, she is quite matured for her age.

And then there's me, the whiny girl. I have always been the whiny girl who keeps on whining about the fact that I've absentee parents or about the fact that Ryan doesn't notice me. Or about the fact that I'm a single child in my family. Yeah, I'm *that* girl.

Its kind of ironic that the three of us ended up being best friends considering we're so different from each other.

Now about Ryan. Just his name brings a smile on my face. He is my best friend since I was 4. He's the Golden Boy of our school and is the vice captain of the football team of our school. Also I am heads over heels in love with him since I was 8.

With a start I realize that I haven't met them for a very long time. Jade was busy with her part time job and college applications. Whereas Rachel had gone on a family vacation to Greece. And Ryan, well

After shampooing my hair , I get out of the bathroom and make my way towards the closet attached to my bathroom. I look at the clock and realize I still have forty-five minutes to get ready for school. I start rummaging my very full wardrobe; the perks of being a daughter of one of the most well-known fashion designers in America. Note the sarcasm. After a while I end up with the usual white crop t-shirt and a dark wash high-waist denim. After drying my hair with a hair dryer, I pull my hair into a high ponytail giving a slight puff in the top to make it look fuller. For make up, I just apply some concealer under my eyes and finish my look by applying my favourite coffee flavoured chapstick.

I leave my room along with my backpack and go to the kitchen downstairs where I see my mom and dad going through the morning newspaper and having business-related conversations.

Resisting an urge to roll my eyes, I take my seat on the dining table and murmur a 'good morning' to both of them. I gobble up the Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches, downing it with a cup of hot coffee served to me by Maria, our housekeeper.

Maria has been in our family since I was born. She has always been there for me, covering up for my absentee parents. My dad is the owner of one of the multi-billionaire companies of our town. And my mom is a fashion designer. She is very good at what she does and is very successful. She has her own clothing line too. Sure, I'm proud of my parents and I love them dearly but sometimes I wish they could be there for me not just financially, but emotionally and physically too.

After finishing with my brunch, I wave good-bye to my parents and make my way towards my car. I got it as a gift on my sixteenth birthday, because my parents couldn't drop me to school everyday. And apparently, I had grown up enough to go to school on my own.