Chapter 1: A New Home

I was sitting in my room, looking in the mirror when I heard screams. I opened my door out of my room to see that the walkers had gotten in. My heart began pounding as I shut and locked the door. I quickly grabbed my dusty, old, brown Jansport backpack. I grabbed anything I couldn't live without, like my photo album, 2 handguns, knife, a black AR, ammo, sketchbook, camera, my phone from before the outbreak, my teddy bear, Sally, from when I was 5, and a couple other various things such as clothes.

I put on my sweatshirt, backpack, and sneakers as fast as I could. I started to open my window only to see walkers. Gripping my knife between my hands, I was starting to plunge the blade into walker's skulls. I wanted to save everyone, but I had to save myself first. I saw the gates, seeing it was open, obviously the source of walkers. I ran out of the community, sprinting at full speed, knife still held in my hand as tight as I could.

I ran through the woods and out towards the main road, not seeing any walkers. All of a sudden, I felt something push me back. It was a car, a car? The man in the driver's seat got out as soon as he noticed, I was not the dead. He helped me up, asking if I was alright. I shook my head yes as I brushed off pants. He told me all the wonders of a place called Alexandria, where he was from.

I was suspicious of him, but I obviously didn't have a home anymore. So, why not, right? I agreed to go back with him, but still had my knife in my hand just in case. As we were driving, he told me it was back in Georgia, far away from here, Texas. It was silent. We made no conversation unless it was about Alexandria.

I was sitting in the passenger seat of the beat up, old van, the one that hit me. After a couple of hours, the van came to a stop. I took in a couple deep breaths before opening the door.

"Here we are, home, sweet home!" Shouted the man who said his name was Spencer.

He walked up to the gate that seemed to be the only way to get into this walled community, said to be Alexandria. He tapped and rattled it a few times before someone started to pull it open. I pulled my backpack out of the trunk and ran my hand through my long, deep brown hair. As I walked in, I felt quite nervous.

Spencer nodded his head to an asian man. Spencer walked away as the other man walked closer to me. He smiled.

"Hi, I'm Glenn," he said.

" Brooklyn, Brooklyn Anderson." I mumbled softly as I shook his hand.

" Well, it's nice to meet you Brooklyn." He remarked

" So where, am I going to live?" I questioned

" In the same house as me, my wife, and some others."

"Cool, Glenn, so can we go there now? My bag is really heavy."

We began to walk towards the houses, on the way, he asked me about how many people and walkers I had killed and why. I answered as truthful as I could, too many walkers to count, 3 people, and because they were going to kill me or someone from my community. He asked me questions about family and life before this went down. While we were walking to the house, we made a couple stops first. First, at the armory and pantry because you can't have guns. I gave her my AR and 1 of my handguns, keeping the other just in case.

Next, we were in Rick's house, who I was told is the leader. He asked the same questions Glenn had. After all the intense questioning, I began to learn people's names. Michonne, Aaron, Sasha, Abraham, Rosita, Carol, and so many others. Michonne asked if I would come to dinner tonight at six. I only said yes because I wanted to know about these people. To be honest, I feel there is something bad that's going to happen and something sure is strange around here. I feel like I'm being watched.

After that we headed towards our house, the one next to Rick's. When we got there, Glenn walked upstairs as I followed. He opened a white door that went into a nice, neat, and simple room. He smiled and walked away, I walked in and set my bag on the bed. The room was neat, it had a dresser, nightstand, bed, and desk. The bed was white with accents of grey and yellow. All the furniture was a clean white. I unpacked my bag, setting my sketchbook and art supplies on the desk, a few pairs of clothes in the dresser. Sally, my stuffed bear, on my bed. My bag and phone on the nightstand. I opened the door that was in my room. It was a bathroom. I smiled remembering what Spencer told me in the car, water, hot water, if I wanted. I took off my clothes and got in the shower.

I took a very long, nice, shower. When the water touched my skin, I smiled and enjoyed it. I must have let time slip away, when I looked at the clock it was already 5:30. I got out and wrapped myself in the clean towel on the towel bar. I went back into my room to get clothes on. I put on a crimson colored sweater and black ripped jeans. Time was slipping away, so I quickly put my hair in a loose side braid. I got out a brand new toothbrush and tube of toothpaste and brushed. I looked in all the drawers, there was even some makeup, if I felt like it.

My old, dirty, white Adidas were on the tan carpet, my shoes were looking so gross compared to the room. I slipped them on and went back into my bathroom to put my "MODO" brand glasses on, letting my light blue eyes see better. Now, at this point it was almost 6, so I left to go to Rick's.

When I got there, a woman with gray hair was serving food, I think her name is Carol. I went up to her getting a plate consisting of a slice of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas. I had no idea where to sit when I heard my name being called. It was Glenn and his wife, Maggie. I sat next to them and we talked and talked just like everyone else. I heard the front door open and close.

"Tara, Daryl, how was the supply run?" Rick asked.

"Good," a woman's voice responded with that somehow sounded familiar.

I turned around to see who Tara and Daryl were, since I had never met them. When I saw who the woman was, I dropped my fork in shock. I was frozen for a second while she was talking to a girl named Rosita.

"Aunt Tara?" I said in shock as she turned around.