Chapter Eight

Chapter 8- Josh's POV:

In school the next day I let Maddie avoid me. We agreed to meet after school so I was patient until then. I really did love Maddie and I felt that it was my job to prove it to her. It may just take a while. Her birthday was coming up and I was going to plan her a surprise party. Her birthday is 2 weeks away and she'll be turning 14. I know that she's 13 and I'm 15 but her birthday was at the end of the year so she missed the cut-off date and now she's only one grade behind me.
-
I keep thinking about what I'm going to say in the short 2 hours when school's over. Then I thought about the possibility if she ditches me and doesn't come. I swung out my phone and sent her a quick message, even though she's in the same class as me(in our school we have mixed grade periods and of course she's sitting on the opposite side of the room.)
Josh: we still on 4 latr?
I could see Maddie across the room receiving her message and replying from under the table where the teacher didn't notice it.
Maddie: **later. Learn to spell, Hyland.
Josh: hilarious. Is that a yes?
Maddie: mhm.
She quickly locked her phone and shoved it into her binder. I noticed she was sitting next to a girl named Kendall, so I texted her one last time.
Josh: Btw the girl you're sitting next to is Kendall. She was on your dance team. You were good friends but she's been jealous that she's number 2 all the time. I don't blame Abby, though. You would be my number 1 too ;).
She checked her phone a few minutes later but I never got a response. I could tell it was because I brought up dance. I know she was still mad but I was trying to split the tension between us. Apparently I just made it worse.

After school, I carelessly loaded my books into my book bag and raced out to the big tree in front of school where we had agreed to meet.
Minutes passed and I eventually tossed my bag on the ground and sat on my jacket. I whipped out my phone and attempted to beat a level of Candy Crush. A good 10 minutes later I looked up and saw her with Kendall and Paige taking pictures together for Instagram. I opened the popular app and sure enough, there was a cute picture of the three of them in my feed posted 1 minute ago. It was on Paige's account captioned "Best friends.... Nope! These guys are my sisters. ❤️💗 @madisonziegler1313 @kk22xo"
I silently cringed for Maddie. When she reads that she'll feel sad not remembering them. They were some of her closest friends and now they're just another thing forgotten. She turned and saw me waiting for her but didn't look apologetic. I mean, I've been sitting here for like 20 minutes playing Candy Crush like some pathetic 6th grader, by myself might I add. Maddie departed from her friends and waved goodbye one last time before greeting me with nothing more or less than a quiet "hey."
I said it back and she awkwardly stood there for a while before taking a seat next to me, being careful to leave about 12 inches in between. This gesture made me mad, so I turned to face her and while doing so I smoothly moved 6 inches closer.
"You know, just because I agreed to meet you here doesn't mean everything's okay between us." She spat coldly.
"I know. I'm sorry."
"You've been saying that a lot lately."
And it was definitely true. I texted her everyday starting and closing with "I'm sorry." Sometimes I did it even more than once a day.
"Sorry it's a habit."
She laughed a little when I caught myself saying sorry once again. God I missed that smile.

A/N: sorry this is so short. I broke my phone by dropping it yesterday and I just got a new one today (I love my parents). I hate doing this but I want to make sure I have active readers so 3 comments and 10 votes for more please? Xoxo