Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12 Josh's POV:

I knew it was time for Maddie to go back to dance but I just hoped Abby wouldn't be too harsh on the girl. Thinking about Maddie made me miss her, so I shook her from my mind and started my walk to the school football field for practice.
I kicked the leaves while I was walking. My mind couldn't keep itself from trailing off to Maddie. Would she have fun? Would she need to know something from before her coma? Why hadn't she just told the doctor about her memory loss that day? Will she tell her best friend Chloe? Did she already? I had to worry. Maybe I should turn back around and go see her. Would she want me there?

These questions still swarmed through my head as my coach blew his whistle, and all the boys starting running laps around the field. We conditioned for the first hour of practice then ran drills for the second half. It wasn't exactly fun but I could handle it. Most days I ran a few paces ahead of everyone but today I slacked off. I wasn't the only who noticed my lack of effort.

My coach told me to stop running and he waved me over. "What's going on with you?" He asked softly.
"I'm just kind of out of it today." I shrugged.
"So I've noticed. Why don't you skip today's practice? Looks like you have a lot going on. Go rest."
I was about to object before I realized he was right. Now that I think about it, I haven't ha any sleep in days. "Thanks Coach." I said, starting to run off the field.
"Take it easy Hyland!" The man shouted after me.
I loved that guy. He always had a soft spot for me because we were close family friends and he was like my uncle, but sometimes he could be pretty hard on us.

Instinctively I started walking to the death trap the Maddie fell into... Which is obviously Abby Lee Dance Company. I know I'm being kind of stupid and protective but I think I love Maddie and I don't want to let her go again. Man, this girl thing was really messing me up.
That's when it hit me. I need time alone. I need a guys day where I hang out with my friends. I wasn't sure if I still had friends because I stopped answering their texts and I never hung out with them anymore since Maddie's coma. Anyway, I missed my guy friends and I hoped they would understand.
I stumbled when I took out my phone causing it to drop to the concrete. It was already cracked it probably couldn't be much worse anyway, and it wasn't.
I looked through my contacts and thought of my friend Tyler, who was at football practice now. I'll text him later. Maybe I'll have a party this weekend if my mom doesn't mind. Before I got all messed up with Maddie, not that I minded, I always threw huge parties and everyone in the two high schools in out district would be invited. The cops even shut us down sometimes but hey, it was worth it.

I decided I had to start somewhere and I texted my friend Trent. We haven't talked in a while anyway.

Josh: hey Trent
Trent: oh hey
Josh: wanna hang?
Trent: I'm at the basketball court with Mike now. Meet us here?
Josh: okay see you in 5

I smiled to myself. I missed them and this would be good for me. It really would.

Maddie's POV-

"Maddie it's your turn to learn the choreography get in here!" Yelled Abby. My solo was a lyrical routine called Forever and Almost Always and I was happy to be dancing even if I didn't remember any of it, it just felt right... For some reason it felt like this was what I wanted. This is what I was supposed to do. I picked up on the dance pretty quickly but Abby said I looked sloppy. I apologized, fighting back to urge to say it sarcastically considering I haven't danced in months and I couldn't remember any of the moves or what they were called. I hoped to please Abby though. It seemed important to be at the top of this pyramid thing and that's where I was determined to be.
She gave me a break and told me that we would work on the group dance next, and I should send everyone in when I was ready.

I sipped my water, quenching my thirst. I told the girls to go in because that's what Abby requested me to do. Paige stayed behind to talk to me.
"Hey Maddog!" She said.
"Hey Paigey-waigey!" I said beaming back.
"It's Paigey-Mack." She corrected me.
"Huh?"
"Is everything okay? You've seemed off lately."
"Uhm yeah."
"Listen Maddie, I know about your memory thing."
"What!?" I screamed. "Was it Josh!?" I starting building up with fury. "DID CHLOE TELL YOU?!" I said louder than I should have.
"Nobody had to tell me." She said laughing. "I know you better than anyone. Whenever I bring up anything about our past you just smile and nod and you furrow your brow when I bring up an inside joke and I don't blame you for not telling me."
"I'm so sorry" I said pulling my best friend into a hug. "I should've told you."
"It's okay. Let me know if you need anything. I'm worried about you."
"Don't be. Love you 'Paigey-Mack'"
_________________________

A/N sorry for the lack of updating! Hope you liked it! Only 2 or 3 more chapters :(