Chapter 10 (edited)

Luckily, I was quick witted so my reaction was fast, and it took me less than a second to overcome my surprise.

"Those without a weapon, stand back! Those with swords, come forward! Those with daggers, come around them!" I instructed as I took out my sword.

I watched as more than half of the students backed away, and most of the remaining took their swords out and did what I told them, while the rest drew their knives or daggers and stood back, waiting for the Ogres to attack so that they could come behind them.

I went in front of the students with my swords out. The Ogres roared and I yelled, "Charge!"

I didn't even look behind me as I went for the first Ogre. There were about 30 of them, but they looked big and well trained.

As my sword was about to slice through the first one, I expected to meet some resistance, but nothing happened. The sword just went through the Ogre. I looked in surprise as Ogres started to shimmer and then disappeared, as well as the hole in the wall. I heard clapping behind me, and when I turned around, the students were applauding and cheering.

"Good job! You've proven yourself worthy of being a War Commander! This was an illusion created by a mind wielder. Your reaction was fast, and your tactics were good. Now let's eat and celebrate!" the headmaster said, his voice loud in spite of his age.

So, it was an illusion, but I had proven that I was worthy, and I was happy. I smiled widely, knowing that showing my fangs made me look scarier than I actually was.

I hurried towards my table, feeling the hunger gnawing at my stomach. I sat and looked at the wide choice of food. I took a bit of every kind of meat and put it on my plate.

I tried eating politely, but this form was not cooperating, so I ended up eating with my hands and eating bones I previously crushed with my teeth. Students near me were looking a little uneasy, but I shrugged at them to make them feel better. I don't know why I thought shrugging would stop their uneasiness, but it worked. They continued eating their food without glancing at me, as I devoured mine. When I felt full, I sat back, thinking about my dragon. I could hardly wait for two more days, but I knew I had to.

I thought about all the things we would do together. I knew that I would lead humans to victory against Ogres, and I knew that my dragon would always be close.

The rest of the day passed quickly, and before I knew it, I was in bed, feeling full and happy. I rolled around in bed for a few minutes, but sleep didn't come. I tried not to think about it, but I knew that what I saw was real. I saw their faces when they cheered- they didn't mean it. They weren't happy for me. I tried to push that thought out of my head, but it kept coming back. I could pretend everything was okay, but they were terrified of me.

The students were just acting. I heard them talk; they hated me. They didn't want me as a War Commander. They pretended because the headmaster told them to. The monster inside of me brought me nothing good.

I sighed, knowing that I couldn't change what I am. I can't be the creature of light; I can't be liked. I just had to deal with it, but being a War Commander may make things easier, since the position gives me power over students. I have to admit I liked that.

Seeing that I couldn't sleep, I stood up. It was well past midnight, and I knew that I had training early, but sleep wouldn't come. I felt the need to trick someone. I hadn't done that in a while.

I changed forms so that I could see better in the dark and I sneaked out of my room. I used my Element, making the shadows cover me, making me almost invisible in case someone was there. I was surprised I managed to do that.

I wasn't happy about all the hate that was shown to me, so I decided to do something mean.

I smiled as my trickster senses came to me. Was there a better way to make my day better? Nope.

An Ogre attack would surely scare everyone out of his or her mind, especially after the fake one today. I smirked and quickly made my way to the entrance. Of course, there were guards at the door. If I made the guards think that there was an attack, they would warn everyone and nobody would suspect me. I knew that Mind wielders could create illusions. I would be innocent, especially now that I was a War Commander.

Having Darkness as my Element made me able to make shadows move and look real while it was dark. The doors were open and there were lamps outside, which was perfect. I concentrated hard on making my own shadow as well as the guards' shadows move outside, and then made them come to life. Of course, they just looked like something was out there, and the guards tensed when they saw them. I made them move around, and I took shadows from everywhere and put them together, making it look like many figures sneaking around without sound.

One of them stepped forward, and I tried making the shadows bigger. They were about the size of an Ogre when I finished.

"Sound the alarm! We're under attack! Get the War Commander!" He shouted and I barely held in a laugh. Then I remembered that I was the War Commander, so I ran to my room as fast and as quietly as I could. Just when I was about to open the door, I heard the alarm. Luckily, I went to sleep fully dressed so I had my daggers and my sword with me. I pretended I was leaving the room like the rest of the screaming students as I ruffled my hair.

"Everyone, calm down! Take your weapons and go to the Great Hall! I'll lead the way!" I shouted and everyone went quiet. I started running down the stairs with everyone behind me when the guard approached me.

"It's the Ogres! We saw a couple of them outside. We're scouting the outside now, but they may have already come to the inside of the school. Take the students to safety," he said and ran back downstairs. The only sound I heard was the sound of everyone breathing and the guard's footsteps getting quieter.

"It seems safe for now. Stay quiet and follow me. If you wander away from the group, go to the Great Hall," I said and continued running downstairs quietly. I almost laughed out loud because my plan worked, but my face remained serious.

After a few more minutes, all of the students were in the Great Hall and I was standing next to the mentors and the Headmaster, who was about to speak.

"We may be under attack from Ogres. A few of our guards saw them outside, but the guards scouting the area didn't see them. That might mean that they were in the building, but it could also mean that this was a joke. If it is, in fact, a joke, the student responsible for this will be punished," he said. Inside, I was panicking, but I looked as surprised as the rest of the students did. I didn't want to know what would happen if they found out it was me.

"This is likely the work of a Mind Element. I'm not saying it was a joke. We might really be under an attack. We will wait for your War Commander, Medea, to scout the school and check for any dangers. She and the guards will make sure that you are all safe," he finished as students broke into talk.

I made my way outside the Great Hall and met with the guards.

After an hour, we managed to check everything with every person checking different parts of the school. Of course, we found nothing. In spite of the boredom that came afterwards, I didn't regret this little joke. In fact, I was already planning more.

"It's all safe, Headmaster. Looks like this was either a joke, or the guards' eyesight is not very good," I reported when we entered the Great Hall.

"We will find the student responsible for this,"the Headmaster said and I smirked. "Now everyone, go back to your rooms and getsome sleep.".01���DP�