Chapter 14 (edited)

Snow was about to move, but I stopped him. I wanted him to tell me what happened right there. I was angry.

"You want the story now? Okay. I see that you're a Datonx... That's nice," he said as he leaned on his dragon. "The night that the Ice Giant attacked us, I died. Yes, yes, I'm alive now, I know, because I didn't quite die. When I was shot by his ice, I was dying. My dying made some sort of a signal that my dragon heard inside of her egg, so she sent me some of her life force to keep me alive. Minutes later, some of the Dragon Riders came and took me. But not to the school." He paused and took a deep breath.

"They took me to the Assassins Guild. It's basically a guild of assassins. They saved me, and then then they taught me to fight. By the age of 10, I knew more than 50 ways to kill an armed man. When I turned 13, they sent me on my first solo mission. I was supposed to kill a rider far older than me. The Rider had the Mind Element, and he knew everything about me just by giving me a look. He told me that, and he brought me here. Yes, that rider was the headmaster. The Assassins Guild had been causing problems, so they sent me as the leader of a mission to stop them. That was a few months ago, and before that I was a War Commander. I wanted to go home and tell everyone that I was still alive, but I couldn't. It wasn't safe. I'm on my second year now, and no longer a War Commander. It was somewhat boring, anyways. Good luck with it," he finished. I waited a few minutes for everything to sink in before speaking. My anger left me, because I understood.

"That must have been hard for you. I bet the headmaster is waiting, you should go," I said. I saw that sharing that story wasn't that easy for him.

He nodded and left and I went to Tanya. Her eyes were full of excitement.

"Was that Snow?" She asked. She had a crush on Snow. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes it was," I said, and then I told her his story. She was listening, nodding her head along the way. She was speechless by the time I told her everything.

"That was..." she said, probably unable to find the right words.

"I know. He also knew that I was a Datonx... I'm surprised he even knows about them," I said and Tanya nodded in agreement. I stood up.

"I should go now... I'm the War Commander, I have to see the headmaster and see what they were talking about," I said and left, waving at her.

I was relieved that Snow was alive. To be honest, I had forgotten about him, but memories of him came back when I saw him.

After a while, I reached the headmaster's office. I knocked and went in without waiting for an answer. I was impatient.

"Oh, yes, Medea. I was just about to send a guard to bring you here," the headmaster said without looking up. Snow was writing something.

"Snow completed his mission, he's writing down the details now. We're here to discuss your position as the War Commander. Snow used to be a War Commander before you. He was away for months, and we needed somebody to take his place, since we didn't know how long he would be gone," the headmaster said. "You were chosen to be a new War Commander, and we need to decide which one you will take."

"Snow can take it. He has more experience than I do, and it was his place before it was mine," I said. It felt unfair for me to take his place.

"No, I..." Snow started, only to be interrupted by the headmaster.

"It's decided, then. Snow is the War Commander. You don't have the right to protest," Headmaster said and Snow let out an irritated sigh.

"Now, we have to tell everyone the good news! Snow came back from the dead, that's delightful! Off you go now; we'll announce it in an hour, at dinner," Headmaster said. I nodded and left behind Snow.

"Why did you do that?" Snow asked me. I shrugged.

"It felt unfair, but let's not talk about that. I have to change clothes, anyway. But tell me, what are your Elements?" I asked.

"Oh, you can still wear the clothes, I just need the badge. I had them make me my own clothes. I have advanced wind and water. You have shape-shifting and darkness," he said. The fact that he knew my Elements wasn't very surprising, since he knew that I'm a Datonx, too.

"Tanya would like to see you," I said, remembering her. He nodded as I led the way to her room. I knocked, and she opened immediately.

"Hello," she said, her eyes focused on Snow. He was now wearing the War Commander badge.

"You're the War Commander now?" She asked after she noticed the badge.

"Hello, and yes, I am. Medea kind of resigned. Long story," Snow said as he walked in. I winked at Tanya and went in, ignoring her death gaze.

We spent the time until dinner to share stories from our childhood and our experiences at the school. The thing we all agreed on was that flying dragons was the best.

The dinner bell interrupted us, and we went to the Hall.

As we entered, I went to my seat and Snow approached the headmaster. Yes, I was sad that I lost my position, but I didn't really like it anyways. I had too much to deal with.

The whispers quieted when students realized that it was Snow. I looked around and saw Jack, who was looking at me apologetically. He was giving me that look ever since I tried to kill him. I smiled at him, and he brightened up immediately.

"As you have noticed, Snow is back! And we agreed for him to take Medea's place as a War Commander," Headmaster said, snapping my attention back to him. Snow bowed and got an applause, along with some mean looks. He didn't seem to care. When he came to sit beside me, I smiled at him to show support, and so did Tanya.

"Sorry about trying to kill you," I said to Jack.

"Oh no, I'm the one that should apologize. I was pushing you, and you couldn't control it," he said.

"Thank you for thinking about it like that," I said.

"You tried to kill him?" Snow asked, but he seemed amused.

"Yes, when I turned into my other form for the first time."

"You're in it right now, so I guess you've learned how to control it," he noted, and I nodded. We didn't talk after that because we were too busy eating.

After dinner, we all went outside to practice sword fighting. I wasn't as good with swords as I was with daggers, but I wanted to improve. I was actually the worst of them, in spite of extra strength that my other form was giving me. In the end, I gave up, turned almost invisible and fought with daggers. It was dark outside, so they couldn't see me. Tanya was the only one that could sense me coming, because she was a Pureblood.

"Not fair! We're not using our Elements!" Jack said as I disarmed him again.

"I'm bad at sword fighting... So I had to use the Darkness to my advantage," I said. He rolled his eyes.

"Me either, I'm better with bow," he said. After that, we agreed to go inside.

As we were about to enter the building, the groundstarted shaking, and we all fell to the ground. The last thing I saw beforepassing out was a wall falling towards us.