13 | CHAPTER THIRTEEN

- - - - -
C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N
- - - - -

The credits began to roll across the plain black screen. I felt Ashton's heartbeat in his chest as we just watched the tiny animations.

"So your comfort zone project?" Ashton brought up.

I lifted my head up to look at him, I just kinda sat there staring at his perfectly constructed facial features and ocean like eyes.

"I still have no idea what I'm gonna do,"I explain to him. "Mr. Williams wants me to show the class what a photogenic eye is."

"What's one thing you never thought you'd ever do?" He asked me. Trying to give me some inspiration.

I paused for a moment looking down at my hands. I remember the photo of my dad on my computer. He once showed me something that made my mom mad.

"Look, Danielle," he said, lifting up his shirt. My name and birthday were tattooed in black ink across the side of his ribs. He got it when I just turned twelve.

"Mark!" My mom yelled at him.

"That's so cool!" Tanner looked at it longer than I did. I paid close attention to my mom and dad as I felt the tension in the air.

"It's just a tattoo Mindy," he explained to her.

She glared.

My mom wasn't a big fan of tattoos, especially ones without a true meaning. I guess I understand that though. Why waste your money on something you're gonna end up hating later.

I looked at Ashton again after making up my mind. "A tattoo."

"Really?"

I sensed a surprised tone in his voice.

I kinda hesitated before speaking again, "yeah. My dad got one of my name tattooed on his side when I was younger."

"Well let's go get you a tattoo then," Ashton smiled.

I pulled the camera strap around my neck and locked the door behind us. Ashton started up the black vehicle and back up at of my driveway.

Another random rock band was playing on the radio, but it was quiet so I and Ashton could talk.

"I suggest thinking about what you want to get, it's permanent." Ashton reminds me.

I knew exactly what I wanted to get. Something to remember my father. We were really close, I know it's stereotypical, but I was daddy's little girl. I wish I could just see him one more time. Hear his voice outside of my mind. Talk to him one last time.

We pulled up to a small brick building surrounded by multiple shops. Blue and pink neon on lights shined inside when we walked in. Different tattoos designs hung up against the wall in glass picture frame and right under them was a long black sofa. A man with a red beard greeted us. Tattoos ran up his left arm and a small quote ran across his neck.

"Ashton my boy!" The red haired man called.

"My friend here wants to get a tattoo," Ashton tells him.

"Great," the man smiled at me. "Where would you like it?"

I took me a moment to process he was talking to me. Both of them were staring at me, waiting for my answer.

I lifted up my shirt reviling my side, I pointed. "Right here."

The same spot where my dad got his.