Chapter 4: A Dance of Swords

Robin

Luther grinned at me, his smile seemingly genuine. It would have been easy to think that I had merely imagined the look in his eyes a few moments ago. He was gripping a glass of wine in each hand, and he held one out to me. "I thought you were looking lonely, Lady Robin. Would you care for a drink?"

I took a step back and almost bumped into the potted tree in the centre of the room. "No, thank you, Viscount Luther. I rarely drink alcohol. It doesn't suit me."

"Really?" Luther asked, crossing the distance between us in a heartbeat so that I was almost pressed up against the bark. "But this is a special occasion, and the wine is excellent! What better time is there to allow yourself some freedom, especially when we need our minds taken off the disappearance of Lady Charlotte? It is only one glass, milady. It will do you no harm."

He shoved the glass at me so forcefully that the liquid almost slopped onto my dress, and I cringed as a few heads turned our way. It would look peculiar if I denied again – especially because I'd probably have to kick him in the crown jewels before he moved away from me. I had been told that wasn't acceptable behaviour for a princess.

"All right, if you insist." I took the glass from him. "I suppose I should allow myself to relax. Thank you for your thoughtfulness."

"Viscount Luther!" The hopeful face of a young woman popped up behind him.

My heart fell like a stone. Perhaps, I thought, I should attach a stay away from this man note to his back?

Thankfully, he looked annoyed as he turned around to face his hanger-on, so I thought I could discount her as being a potential target. He was unsuccessful in shaking her off for quite a few minutes, however, leaving me trapped between him and the tree with nothing to do except stare at my wine and wonder if I should really drink it.

By the time he'd turned back to me, the glass was empty.

"You agree with my opinion that the wine is good, then?" he asked with a smile.

I opened my mouth to reply, but yet another guest started clamouring for his attention. He turned around again with a glower and engaged in a short conversation. Every ten seconds or so he would glance back at me as if he was checking that I was still there.

I was surprised that no one had badgered me in all this time. Perhaps they couldn't see me because Luther was in the way. If I leaned to the side and stood on my tiptoes, I could just about make out a few familiar people in the crowd – the back of Cordelia's head, the top of Miriel's hat – but they were all on the other side of the ballroom. I was alone for the time being and bored, and I found myself drifting off into a daydream.

In my mind, I stood upon a battlefield with Chrom and the Shepherds, my sword in one hand and my tome in the other. I was not an immaculate princess, but a tactician streaked with dirt and blood, ordering the Shepherds into a new manoeuvre I'd recently learned about. Did it leave any weak spots? What tactics could the enemy employ to break our formation?

I almost jumped out of my skin when someone snapped their fingers in front of my face. Luther had finally turned around again. He smiled with relief when my eyes connected with his. "Milady, are you all right? You seemed a bit distracted. Come to think of it, you're actually looking rather pale." He leaned in closer as if to get a better look.

"It is a little hot in here," I admitted.

"Perhaps I could escort you to the royal gardens for some fresh air? I don't want you to faint."

"All right," I said. "Thank you, Viscount Luther."

He took me by the arm and walked me straight to the door, plucking my empty glass from my fingers and dumping it on a waiter's tray as we went. I couldn't see Chrom anywhere in the dizzying crowd.