Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight - Awkward Dinner

Queenie turned around, facing Jacob, reading his mind as she said, "You prefer strudel, huh, honey? Strudel it is." Jacob nodded with excited enthusiasm, making Queenie grin, absolutely delighted.

With a flick of her wand, Queenie sent raisins, apples, and pastry flying into the air. The concoction neatly wraps itself into a cylindrical pie, baking on the spot, complete with ornate decoration and a dusting of sugar.

It was a few moments that Newt and I stood there, watching them. I glanced at him before moving to go sit down as Tina said, "Well, sit down then, we're not going to poison you."

Newt and I sat side by side, the case between us as we ate. There were moments where Newt and I took turns closing the latch on the case when it opened, in between listening to the conversation taking place.

"The job ain't that glamorous. I mean, I spend most days making coffee, unjinxing the john... Tina's the career girl," Queenie said, taking a pause. "Nah, we're orphans. Ma and Pa died of Dragon Pox when we were kids. Aw...

"You're sweet. But we got each other," Queenie finished.

"Look, could- could you stop reading my mind for a second?" Queenie pulled away, a little disappointed. "Don't get me wrong-I love it," Kowalski said quickly. Queenie giggled before Mr. Kowalski continued.

"This meal-it's insanely good! This is what I do-I'm a cook and this is, like, the greatest meal I have ever had in my life."

"Oh, you slay me! I ain't never really talked to a No-Maj before," Queenie laughed. Kowalski looked skeptical for a moment.

"Huh, really?" Kowalski and Queenie gazed into each other eyes, making Newt, Tina, and I, quite uncomfortable in the presence of such affectionate behavior.

Suddenly, Queenie muttered, "I am not flirting." Tina's face was covered with embarrassment as she began to stutter.

"I'm just saying-don't go getting attached, he's going to have to be Obvlivated." Tina turned towards Mr. Kowalski for the last part. "It's nothing personal."

Kowalski suddenly turned very pale and sweaty again, I quickly made eye contact with Newt, and knew he understood.

"Oh, hey, you okay, honey?" Queenie asked. Newt and I stood up from our chairs rather quickly.

"Miss Goldstein, I think Mr. Kowalski could do with an early night. And besides, you, Alice, and I will need to be up early tomorrow morning to find my Niffler, so-"

"What's a Niffler?" Queenie asked.

"Don't ask," Tina muttered. If we had been in a cartoon, surely steam would've been blowing out my nose as I glared at her.

"The Niffler is a British beast. Fluffy, black and long-snouted, the creature has a predilection for anything glittery. They're often kept by goblins to burrow deep into the earth for treasure.

"Though the Niffler is gentle and even affectionate, it can be destructive to belongings, and should never be kept in a house. And they are often abused, and mistreated, even when simply talking about them," I finished, Tina shrinking beneath my glare as Newt grabbed the collar of my coat, pulling me next to him.

"She's very protective of the Niffler, excuse her," Newt said quietly, looking at me with a face that clearly read, 'Really? You couldn't leave it well alone?'

"No, I couldn't leave it well alone, and you know that," I whispered, pouting at him. Tina stood up, showing us where we could bunk for the night. I personally didn't mind sleeping on the floor, if Newt wanted the bed, but with him being a gentleman, he insisted I sleep on it instead.

Tucked away neatly in our blankets, Newt was completely faced towards me, while Mr. Kowalski was sitting up, trying to make sense of a wizarding book. Tina, wearing patterned blue pajamas, tentatively knocked on the door, entering with a tray of cocoa.

"I thought you might like a hot drink?" Tina suggested. I smiled guiltily, but she seemed to have forgiven me for the earlier outburst. Tina carefully handed Kowalski his mug. Newt remained turned away, feigning sleep.

Tina handed me my cup, placing his on the bedside table.

"Hey, Mr. Scamander-Look, cocoa!" Mr. Kowalski said, however, Newt made no movement.

"The toilet's down the hall to the right," Tina irritatedly said.

"Thanks..." Mr. Kowalski muttered, as she closed the door, catching a glimpse of Queenie in a slip in the other room. I however, had chosen to keep my day clothes on, thank you very much.