Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven - Acqua Occamy

Newt headed up a small ramp, Kowalski and I following him briefly. Entering a bamboo wood, we ducked and dived through the trees.

Newt quickly called out: "Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?" As we emerged into a sunlit glade, Newt pulling Pickett from his pocket and holding him perched on his hand.

"He had a cold. He needed some body warmth," Newt said, walking closer towards a small tree.

"Aw," fawned Kowalski. At our approach, a clan of Bowtruckles chattered, rushing out of the leaves to greet us. Newt extended his arm toward the tree, trying to persuade Pickett to rejoin the others. The Bowtruckles clacking noisily when they spy Pickett.

"Right, on you hop," Newt commanded, however, Pickett steadfastly refused to leave Newt's arm. "See, he has some attachment issues."

"I never doubted you for a second," I chided, folding my arms and earning a lip purse from Newt.

"Now, come on, Pickett," Newt instructed, his voice soft. "Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you... Now, come on. Pickett!" Pickett clung by his spindly hands to one of Newt's fingers, desperate not to return to the tree.

"Oh, alright. But that is exactly why they accuse me of favoritism," Newt murmured, turning away as he placed Picket onto his shoulder. I tapped on his shoulder, causing him to look at me.

I slowly pointed at a large, round, empty nest, concern filling my heart and visible in my eyes.

"Don't worry, we'll find Dougal," Newt assured me, smiling sadly at me. However, my attention was tugged away from Dougal's nest as a chirping noise came from a nearby nest. "Alright, I'm coming.

"I'm coming, Dad's here-Daddy's here," Newt gushed, reaching into the nest and scooping up a baby Occamy. "Ah-hello, you-let me take a look at you."

"I know these guys," Kowalski cheered, looking towards the nest.

"New Occamy," Newt noted. "Your Occamy."

"What do you mean? My Occamy?" Kowalski stammered.

"It's the one from the egg you held," I admitted. "It saw you first, therefore, it is your Occamy."

"Yes-do you want to...?" Newt asked, offering the Occamy to Kowalski.

"Oh wow... Yeah, sure," Mr. Kowalski answered, holding the newborn creature gently in his hands. "Okay... Ah-ha." He moved to stroke its head, however, the Occamy went to bite him, causing Mr. Kowalski to move backwards.

"Oh, sorry," I squeaked. "I should've told you not to pet her. They learn to defend themselves pretty early on."

"How do you know it's a she?" Kowalski asked, looking at the bird-snake-like creature.

"There's a slight grey tint in her coloring, whereas the males are more vibrant," Newt reported, feeding the other Occamys in their nest. "They learn to defend themselves because their shells are made of silver, so they're incredibly valuable."

"Okay..." he uttered.

"Would you like to name her?" I asked, looking at Mr. Kowalski. His eyes widened, looking down at the creature.

"You'd trust me with that?" He asked.

"Well, 'course," I convinced. "She is yours after all." Mr. Kowalski thought quietly before coming up with a name.

"Well, why not... Acqua," He advised. I smiled brightly at the name. "Like Aquamarine."

"I think," I gushed, "That is a wonderful name, Mr. Kowalski." Newt quickly took back the baby Occamy, placing it back in the nest.

"Thank you," Mr. Kowalski gushed. "Eh, Mr. Scamander, Miss Crockford?"

"Call me Newt," Newt instructed.

"You can call me Alice," I mentioned. "If you'd like."

"Newt, Alice," Kowalski continued. "I don't think I'm dreaming." I tilted my head, looking at Newt before diverting my attention back to Mr. Kowalski.

"What gave it away?" Newt asked, vaguely amused, his face reflecting his amusement.

"I ain't got the brains to make this up," Kowalski joked. A small smile found its place on my lips as I handed him a bucket full of small pellets, noticing the intrigued and flattered expression on Newt's face.