// Chapter III

2009, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Evelina's small seaplane abruptly landed in the crystal blue river that split the city in two.

Natasha met her on the riverside, wearing her casual spring attire.

The young women greeted each other with a mere handshake. From the looks of it, Natasha meant business.

"He's been hiding out on the castle grounds for the past two weeks. I still have no idea why," Natasha stated.

"At least we know where he is. Let's just get this over with and never see each other again," Evelina retorted.

Natasha gave her a slight nod. "So what do you want to know?"

The two began to walk through the busy streets of Ljubljana, making their way to Natasha's hideout.

Evelina examined Natasha for a few moments, trying desperately not to make it obvious. "How old are you?"

Natasha stooped in her tracks and gave Eve a puzzled glance. "That's it?"

Evelina returned the same glance as they engulfed each other in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Thats all you want to know?"

"Well, yeah."

"Uh, okay. 25. How about you?"

"21."

"Good to know. At least you can drink."

Evelina chuckled. "Alcohol is actually prohibited."

"Whatever you say," Natasha said after she rolled her eyes.

The two entered a small but cozy apartment building that sat in between a few family shops.

Evelina trudged up the narrow staircase while also attempting to carry her large duffel bags behind her.

Natasha was gracious enough to carry the larger bag on her own, but Evelina was still forced to encounter quite the journey.

Once they made it to the room, Natasha unlocked the door with a key that originally sat on top of the doorframe.

Evelina threw herself into the surprisingly large room, only to see a young man, presumably Natasha's age, making himself comfortable on the sofa.

Natasha smirked as she dropped Eve's bags and walked across the room to hug the man.

She wrapped her arm over his shoulder as though they were old pals. "Clint, Evelina. Evelina, Clint."

Eve greeted Clint with a polite smile and a firm handshake.

Natasha plopped down on the sofa and engulfed herself in a laptop that sat on her thighs. "Make yourself at home Eve. You may be here for a while."

Eve nodded and turned back to Clint, hoping to get some more information from him.

Clint pulled his sunglasses off of his face and analyzed Evelina without a word.

He ultimately grabbed a bow and quiver from behind the kitchen counter and opened the window to the fire escape.

"Imma do another perimeter check. Meet me at the cafe for lunch."

Natasha replied with an unenthusiastic "Kay."

Evelina placed it upond herself to explore the apartment.

The place was no larger than the training room back in Ozersk, but it would suffice. The kitchen and living area were attached into one room, but a tight hallway branched off to where the bedrooms and bathroom were located. The closest thing to a balcony was the fire escape, but that wasn't a necessity.

As Evelina examined her own bedroom, a loud and obnoxious beeping noise rang through the entire space.

Natasha rushed into Eve's room with the slightest bit of concern. "He's leaving the premises. Let's go."

Evelina quickly shoved a pistol on each side of her belt while throwing extra ammo into a small backpack.

Natasha handed her a few gadgets that looked foreign to her and jumped out the window and onto the sidewalk below.

Eve followed closely behind until they located their target.

The overly buff man wore a plain baseball cap, black reading glasses, and a heavy windbreaker. This came to a surprise to Evelina as it was about 70° at the moment.

"He's hiding something," Evelina muttered.

Natasha furrowed her eyebrows. "Well duh. Haven't you seen his arm?"

Eve felt her cheeks fluster at the slight mistep. "His arm?"

Natasha turned around in frustration. She lightly pinned Evelina to the wall, trying her hardest not to make a scene. "Yes, his arm. Its-"

Her words were cut off by a fist slamming into the side of her skull. Not any normal hand, though.

A metal one.

Natasha readjusted her jaw and instinctively attacked in return.

In the midst of her falied punches and kicks, the Winter Soldier's glasses and hat flew from his head.

Evelina pulled out her gun and aimed it at the man, but immediately dropped it from her scope once she realized who it was.

The dark brown hair, the royal blue eyes. The metal arm for God's sake! How hadn't she noticed it sooner?

"James?"

Natasha hid herself and Evelina in an alley to catch her breath. She turned the corner and fired a few bullets at the soldier to no prevail.

The black widow remained concentrated but still managed to yell over the gunfire.

"Who the hell is James?"