// Chapter IV

1993, Munich, Germany

Three days.

Evelina had been living in the back of a truck for three days.

James claimed that she wasn't permitted to leave, so she was stuck with the same bitter sight of guns and other weapons hanging over her head.

She noticed that a few agents thought of her as a 'surprisingly well behaved child.'

Although it wasn't much, she took note of everything that happened around her so she could maintain her sanity.

Every so often she would teach James how to play games such as Tic-Tac-Toe or Simon Says.

But one morning, she woke up in a completely different location. Cradled in James' arms like a baby, she remained silent in fear that she would disturb his peace and quiet.

James held onto Evelina like she weighed nothing, which wasn't that far off from the truth.

The little girl had alays been a runaway, living on the streets of both busy cities and small towns. She constantly begged for money and other living necessities from passerbys, but no one ever bothered to listen. No money meant no food, and no food meant no weight.

Evelina quickly grew comfortable with the position she was in. She rested her head on the soldier's chest and drifted back into her slumber.

James noticed that she was content, which made him happy.

He had recently been given the responsibility to take care of Evelina, and he wanted nothing more than to keep her safe in his arms. He adored her more than she knew, but he was a soldier. He had other tasks and missions to persue, ones that weren't fit for a fatherly figure.

He frowned at the thought of being forced to hand over the child to the master, only to be brainwashed into a killing machine once more.

James gripped onto the child's body like it was the last time he'd ever do so.

He entered the Hydra base located in Munich, Germany along with about fifteen other soldiers.

The group walked up to the intimidatingly large doors that led to the main facility.

As they made their way inside, some of the bustling agents stopped in their tracks as the infamous Winter Soldier strutted by. Each and every one of them was surprised to see that a man such as James was carrying a small child with such gentleness and care.

James immediately rushed into the master's office once he was given the chance.

The master studied the papers that occupied his desk, not bothering to waste his energy by looking up at James.

"I don't have the time for this, soldier, you know that," The master said, his voice lacking emotion.

"I want answers," James started.

The master narrowed his eyes and grinned. "Answers? What kind of answers?"

James' brain was fueled with rage. He looked down at the sleeping child in his arms. A thick lock of her soft hair covered half of her face, in which James resisted the urge to push it behind her ear.

"What are you going to do to her?" He growled.

"Lower your voice, soldier. Wouldn't want to wake her up now, would we?"

James immediately felt the guilt flow through his veins. Evelina was sleeping so peacefully that he'd punish himself if he ever did anything to disturb her.

"What are you going to do to her?" He quietly repeated.

The master lifted a loaded revolver from his desk and fiddled with the trigger to taunt his apprentice.

"Now now, soldier. You are not authorized to know that information."

In the time span of about two seconds, the master mercilessly fired a bullet at the child.

James' quick reflexes forced him to pull his metal arm out from under Evelina and position it in front of her body to block the bullet completely.

Eve's eyes shot open to the sound of more gunfire.

She dug her head further into his chest for more protection.

James mentally promised himself to protect her with his life, but a stray bullet managed to slip through and lodge into her leg.

Evelina yelped out in pain and forced herself not to cry, despite the fact that her leg was practically bleeding out.

James ran for the door and escaped the war zone. He sprinted for the medical bay, knocking down any other agents that stood in his way.

The sound of sirens rang through the building, but merely echoed through the soldier's ears.

He burst through the doors to find that all but one of the doctors evacuated.

The older man froze in place. He stared at James in fear that he'd be killed.

Unexpectedly, James grabbed an oversized first aid kid and placed it, as well as Evelina, on an empty operating table.

"You run, you die," James aimed towards the doctor.

The doctor nodded and rushed up to Evelina. He began the procedure as James backed away and sighed with relief.

He occupied himself by locking the main doors to buy them some time.

After about forty-five minutes, the doctor had finished his operation. Evelina was now sleeping, due to the drugs she was given to numb the pain.

James allowed the still petrified doctor to leave while he wrapped a small cloth around Eve's wound.

He lifted her fragile body into his arms and threw a backpack over his shoulder, preparing himself for their journey to the unknown.