// Chapter VIII

1998, Vienna, Austria

Evelina was forced to follow any orders given by the older girl.

It had been a few months of silence for both of the women, since the older one didn't seem to like talking very much.

Dispite the thirteen year old's opinion, Evelina continued to ask questions.

"Where are we?"

"Vienna."

"How old are you?"

"Thirteen."

"How long has it been?"

"Four months, twelve days, nine minutes, and thirty-two seconds."

"Who are you?"

The older girl stopped in her tracks and scared Evelina with a frightening glare. She quickly came up with a fake name to hide her true identity.

"My name's, uh, Natalie Rushman," she stated matter-of-factly.

"Oh, well my name's Ev-"

Natalie rolled her eyes and cut the nine year old off. "I know who you are, Ms. Mustafina. Why else would I have kidnapped you?"

Evelina crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. "Ms. Barnes."

"What?" Natalie arched her eyebrows.

"My name. It's Evelina Barnes. Not whatever crap you just came up with."

Natalie stiffened her body and sighed. She continued down the empty Austrian street that was coated with a layer of snow and ushered Evelina to follow close behind.

///

1997, Berlin, Germany

James paced around the bedroom that once occupied Evelina and cursed himself for not going after the teen.

"You made one promise. One god damn promise and you butchered it," he mumbled to himself. He slammed his fist into the wall before him, causing a dent to form in the thin material.

He forced himself to calm down and once he did so, he crossed his arms over his chest and examined the old room.

A Golden Retriever plush toy lied on the bed while a short Romanian novel sat beside it. A small hoodie fit for a nine year old hung from the bed frame and a few pairs of pants were crumpled up into a pile on the floor.

James directed his attention towards the plush dog and lifted it off the bed, tension running through his veins.

He hugged the toy close to his stomach and began to walk out the room when a glimpse of a shiny object caught his eye.

A necklace made for a soldier-like him- sat on the window sill with two dog tags hanging off the chain.

Romanoff
Natasha Alianovna
04/1984
Black Widow

"Natasha Romanoff," James whispered to himself.

"Я буду делать все возможное я должен убить тебя, даже если последняя вещь я не."

///

1998, Vienna, Austria

Natalie carlessly held a tight grip on Evelina's shoulder that caused a sharp pain to run through the little girl's entire arm.

"What are you going to do to me?" Evelina asked in attempt to spark a conversation.

"Frankly, I don't believe you'd be happy with the answer," Natalie retorted, her voice absent of emotion.

Evelina lowered her head and watched her feet create tiny tracks in the few inches of snow that sat on the sidewalk.

"Try me."

Natalie smirked and used Eve's arm to propel her forward, face first into the frigid snow.

"What the hell?!" Evelina screamed.

The redhead crossed her arms over her chest and watched as the small child shivered against the snow-covered concrete. "I'm bringing you to Russia, to a place called the Red Room."

"And what exactly is the Red Room?" Evelina asked, her voice quiet and shakey.

Natalie stepped over her body and continued down the empty sidewalk.

"You'll see soon enough."