Chapter Six

I felt as if I was underwater. My body felt weighed down and tired, my ears as if they needed to adjust after a long plane flight. Something soft and warm was curled against my back with another similar object covering my body like a blanket.    

   I blinked, my eyes blurry and heavy. As they focused, I saw that a strange, light colored tawny material was draped over my side. From its spot perched over the side of my head I saw that a branching web of vein-like ridges decorated the warm object.

   The soft covering shifted slightly, light replacing the previous dark shade of the object. A strong stream of air blasted my face all of a sudden and I looked into a pair of mint green orbs. Huffing again, my little fuzzy something butted me gently with her head. I realized then that Rossa was the something warm behind me and her wing was what had covered my body.

   Are you alright?

   "Is Sabella awake?" asked a quiet voice from behind me.

   I turned to see Serenity crouched a few paces away with a worried expression decorating her face. I tried to speak but nothing came out. My throat burned as if I had swallowed a cactus. I felt Rossa make a small movement and all of a sudden I was engulfed in a bone-breaking hug.

   If you continue to squeeze her like that, she might pass out again, commented Rossa seriously with a slight grumble in her tone.

   "Are you alright? How are you feeling?," Serenity questioned before turning sharply away to the right, "Mom, Sabella's awake."

   I heard footsteps approaching from outside my line of sight. Within the blink of an eye, my mother is standing right by me, asking if I was alright. My mouth moved to ask what had happened but no sound came out.

    "Serenity," asked our mother, "can you grab my bag?" 

    My sister nodded and scampered off to one of separated, room-like sections of the cave.  A moment later she reappeared with a large, tan bag which she hurriedly handed over to our mom. Mom grabbed a small glass vile filled with green liquid and unscrewed the lid. Serenity helped me up into a sitting position and my mother passed the vile to me.

"Drink this, it will make you feel better."

I gulped down the horrible tasting concoction and hand her the empty glass. Rosa repositioned herself to catch me if I were to fall. Both mine and Rosa's family looked at me expectantly. I tried to speak again.

     "W-what happened," I cleared my throat ," after I passed out? What attacked me?"

     "It was a Kirin that attacked you, Sabella.She has a prejudice against witches from something that happened in his past. You were right about her being lost in her memories, she had a flashback and we were forced to sedate her."

     "What happened in her past?"

     "Her clan was killed by witches when she was young. She and the Perryton were the only survivors," said my mother slowly.

     "Where are they now?"

     "They are outside, the Kirin would like to apologize."

     I nodded and my head swam. I blinked to clear the spots from my vision. 

     "If you don' t want to see her, you don't have to. She is stable now."

     "I would like to see them," I responded.

      "Alright," she stood.

     As mom turned to walk to the exit she paused," How did you know to calm her?"

     "I saw a flash of something horrible and I just....I just knew. I don't know how, but I did."

     She nodded thoughtfully and continued toward the door. What's a Kirin and what's a Perryton, I wondered. Moments later my mother returned leading in two large creatures. 

     The first was what I assumed was the Kirin by the fact it had scales. It was about the height of a thoroughbred horse and generally the same shape body wise. She was as green as an emerald and the scales that cover her entire body shined like one. The head was slender like a deer with an almost horse-like quality. She had a pair of pivoting oval ears that flanked the large antler on the top of her head. There was a mane of wild sunset red hair that cover her back, under her chest, trailed down her legs, and made up the latter part of her tail. Her blue, gold flecked eyes were locked on me.

     The second creature was a foot or so smaller than the first and just as strange. Its body was that of a deer in the front. It had a pair of pale, ivory colored antlers and oval ears. Its head and the majority of the creature was a mix of soft grays, light browns and highlights of auburn. Halfway down the body was the odd part. Its hind legs began semi-deer like and slowly worked its way into becoming taloned bird-like legs. Atop the creatures shoulders were a pair of large grey and black tipped wings that were pinned to its sides. Its tail was a mass of long draping feathers that swayed as it walked. Its eyes were unseen by me as it shyly avoided my gaze.

                                                                                  (Perryton)

                                                                                  (Perryton)

    The creatures came to a stop in front of me. Rosa tensed slightly and stood straighter. What I assumed to be the Kirin lowered its head and placed its muzzle on my head. 

     I am sorry little witch, said a feminine voice, I let my fear and anger get the best of me. The situation was explained to me and.....I see how Rosa is with you. She has not left your side once. Rosa would not act as such if you were a wicked creature. 

      My name is Nova and this is Grey. We are the last Kirin and Perryton on Dragons Gorge. 

I have had such a hard time writing this chapter and I have no clue why. You have no idea how sorry I am for how long this took to right. Thank you to those who stuck with the story for this long.