Tryouts

Thursday had almost completely come and gone and Lauren had been back at University without a word from Camila all day. She thought about texting her, but she didn't know if she should, things had been intense the night before and she wasn't sure if that meant that once again Camila was going to need space from her.

Camila however simply didn't have time to text Lauren, even though she had really wanted to. She had her first exam, an in class exam that morning and she had spent her lunch walking around the school trying to find the editor if the school newspaper, who as it turned out, was more than thrilled to have Camila join the paper. The rest of the day was spent worrying about the exams that were officially starting tomorrow and wondering if Normani would notice if she didn't show up for the rugby tryouts.

"You remembered," Camila groaned as she walked out of her last period class to find Normani waiting for her by the lockers.

"I did!" Normani laughed, playfully shoving Camila. "Mila it's going to be fun, I promise!"

"Ugh, I need to go to my locker and get my gym clothes," Camila told her friend who just moved to follow the girl down the hall.

"Oh my God! I meant to tell you something!" Normani said finally, causing Camila to jump a little with the volume. "So I always see my neighbours outside and shit right? Wrong. Well kind of, so they have two kids who don't live at home, one is like 19 and the other is 18 and they both go to University away from home, BUT there's always a nothing car in the driveway-"

"Get to the point Mani," Camila said with a laugh as she pulled her change of clothes from her locker.

"MISS JERGI IS MY NEIGHBOURS KID AND I SAW HER YESTERDAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HER DRIVEWAY AND SHE WAS DRESSED LIKE A HUMAN!" Normani shouted and Camila's eyes widened and then the smaller girl broke into laughter. 

"Jauregui, not Jergi," Camila corrected. "And what do you mean she was dressed like a human, last time I checked L- Miss Jauregui wasn't an alien and you've seen her dressed normally before, at the restaurant remember!"

"I know, but it's still weird and she's my neighbour which is like extra weird because I might have to see her more often," Normani said with a shrug. "Like tonight for instance my parents invited the entire Jergi clan over for dinner. It's gonna be so weird unless-"

"Unless what?" Camila questioned as they walked into the change rooms by the gym.

"You come, I mean my parents are bugging to see you and it would make it less awkward for me if I had-

"Okay!" Camila said happily and Normani just narrowed her eyes and scanned her friends face.

"You seem a little eager," Normani said carefully but Camila just smacked her on the arm.

"Look I'm always down for food and well, my parents don't usually cook for me anymore so.." Camila said with a shrug. She wasn't lying, not exactly. She was just not mentioning the part where she wanted to see Lauren. "You're sure your Mom won't-"

"Already sent a text to tell her!" Normani laughed putting her phone back in her school bag as she waited for Camila to finish getting changed.

Normani was right, the tryouts were easy. There wasn't as much trying out as there was explaining the game to the newbies while the repeat players pretended to listen while talking amongst themselves. Turns out the team had drastically lowered in size because of the students who had graduated the year before and with the number of students who were at the meeting there were just enough players with a few spares for them to make a full team. Everyone was automatically chosen if for that fact only. They did a few easy drills and Camila found herself hesitant when they started to learn to tackle opponents, but Normani just leaned across and whispered something in her ear so no one else would hear what she was saying.