02

.art credits to Koogi.
.music credit to Ravie Nuage.
  ══ ══

Backstory

My eyes shot open as soon as I felt a flick to the top of my head. It was my mother; the woman I feared the most. My small hands reached up to rub my eyes, dark circles formed beneath them because I'd never gotten enough sleep.

I slowly sat up which clearly infuriated my mother, because she mercilessly grasped a hold of my long, dark locks; pretty much explaining why my hair was tangled at times.

A loud yelp of pain escaped my lips as she did, if I hadn't been awoken yet I most definitely was at this point.

Her grasp was so rough it felt as though she were trying to rip my hair free from my scalp. Hearing my cries her deadbeat boyfriend came out from their room.

With a tight grip on my small shoulders, he raised his left hand and strikes roughly against the skin on my cheek; a large red mark on her face. "SHUT UP! I can't sleep with you making such horrible noises."

He yelled as warm tears rolled down my cheeks, I knew that because he'd made a visible mark on my body that my mother would make me bend over the sink.. and practically drown me in the cold water in order to make my face heal quickly, or to hide the wounds.

This is how my mornings went before school.

•••

I tossed my large coat on, as I walked outside alone. An emotionless expression on my face; the cold algid weather stung as it hit my face.

I heard the children playing in the light snow before school, envious of how they bonded with their parents.

My eyes widened, and a small smile formed on my lips as I saw, one of the two people who brought joy into my life. Oh Sangwoo..

I ran up behind him and spoke softly into his ear, "Boo.." I giggled softly when he jumped before reaching my small hands up to ruffle his soft, hazelnut locks.

He was taller than me, and always teased me about my height. "Guess what?" I spoke in an excited tone, that only he'd ever heard.

"What?" He asked with a soft smile on his face at how eager I seemed to tell him my new found information.

"I grew two inches! I'm gonna be taller than you one day!" I yelled happily while we walked.

"Tch.." The boy burst into laughter. "Whatever you say Kiyeon.." He spoke in between his laughter, causing me to pout.

"I will.. someday.." I spoke whilst puffing my cheeks out, and crossing my arms. "You'll see. I'll be just like you someday too."

He stopped laughing and his small hand caressed the top of my head softly. "Maybe, someday." He said faithfully, and I felt a strange feeling in my chest.

My heart was beating faster than usual. I gave him another smile, and nodded my head. "Mhm."

•••