twenty-seven: hey

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:

| michael’s pov |

“Hey,” she said, once I answered her call. Her voice was soft, yet there was something else about it– something I couldn’t tell.

“Hey,” I replied, having the same tone as her. I didn’t have anything to say, anyway. She probably called me up because of Ashton. She was bound to see his bruise someday.

She mumbled some incoherent words, before I could really understand her. “Thanks, though. I kind of understand why you did it, not that I’m going against Ash. And I appreciate it, even though he has this huge gauze on his face.” Belle laughed heartily, as if she meant it.

There was an awkward silence after that. As usual, I didn’t know what to tell her. ‘Oh, by the way, I love you. That’s why I did it.’ 

No. There was no way I could tell her that.

“So, that’s all I was going to say… yeah.” 

Even though she said that, the call didn’t end. She didn’t do anything; she didn’t say anything, either. I could just hear her sighs over the phone. 

But I’d love to hear that all night.

“Belle?” I didn’t know why I called her attention, but I did. I was still trying to piece the words in my head correctly, afraid that I’ll say something wrong. 

I couldn’t mess this up.

I only had one chance.

It took her a while, but she acknowledged me, “Yes?”

I was thankful she didn’t leave me hanging; I would’ve had another embarrassing and failed event added to my list.

“Can I… maybe, um, meet… no, wait. Can I… um, take you out sometime?” I stumbled over my words, and I cursed myself for it. She might not agree– just because of that. Just because I didn’t have the same confidence as Ashton.

I dread what she was going to say. I wouldn’t know how to react if she said no. I’d probably stammer my way out of this conversation and avoid her for the rest of my life.

“Do you mean what I think you mean?” She sounded shocked– I’m sure she was shocked.

“If you don’t want to, you know, no hard feelings,” I told her, as if to ease her burden. I didn’t expect much out of this. I expected rejection, yet again. “I’m just going to go n-“

“Wait, Michael! Hold on; don’t hang up.” 

My heart started to beat rapidly. She was going to put me down slowly, isn’t she? Even if I wanted to end this call, I let her continue. It would be easy for me to disappear from the face of the Earth– I’d lock myself up in my room.

“I’d love to go on a date with you.”

I only had three words to say– I can’t even.