One Step Closer {Damon Salvatore} Chapter Seven: Illusions and Disagreements

Chapter Seven

When It Rains by Paramore

And when it rains,

On this side of town it touches, everything.

Just say it again and mean it.

We don't miss a thing.

You made yourself a bed

At the bottom of the blackest hole (blackest hole)

~~~

"What happened earlier?" Kiara was looking up at Jordyn with big, worried eyes.

"Uh-" Jordyn couldn't think of anything to say to the kitsune girl. She didn't want to lie to her but she couldn't tell her the truth either.

She was stuck.

Jordyn changed the subject. "Why did you tell me you were a kitsune and told the others you were a druid?"

Kiara turned pale. "That's not-you don't-I'm going upstairs to work on homework."

Kiara resituated her backpack and went upstairs to the attic she called a room quickly without another word. She had only just set down backpack when her stomach grumbled. Food. Kiara took a pear out of the backpack and chewed happily.

So many secrets. Secrets kept by her, secrets kept by Jordyn, secrets kept by them both. At least in the Dark Dimension there weren't as many secrets. Kiara opened her window and used a small fraction of her power to grow a branch though. There was a robin on the branch and, as all animals seemed to do around Kiara, it came up to her and allowed her to pet it's head.

After a minute it turned and flew away. Kiara turned around but heard the branch creak. A little orange kitten with black stripes crawled across the branch. Oh dear.

Kiara snapped a lid on her powers again. The last thing she needed was a flock of birds in her room. That would not fit Jordyn's definition of normal. The little kitten, on the other hand, could stay.

Jordyn looked up as Kiara bounded down the stairs. She was holding a folder. Kiara held it up for Jordyn to see and asked, "What is this?"

"A folder….?" Jordyn stared at the girl puzzled.

"Come here and hold it for me." Kiara told her.

Jordyn sighed and took it from Kiara. She looked at it, an eyebrow arched before looking back at Kiara. "What am I supposed to get by doing this again?"

"Hold on." Kiara looked intently at the folder. Jordyn watched amazed as the folder morphed into a cat. "Now what does it look like?"

"A cat." Jordyn blinked.

"Good, good!" Kiara grinned before she concentrated again and the cat morphed back into a folder. "And now?"

"A folder again." Jordyn said slowly. She eyed Kiara. "What's going on?"

Kiara took the folder back and dashed upstairs without answering her friend while yelling, "Thank you!"

Jordyn looked dumbfounded as she watched Kiara disappear from sight before following the girl upstairs.

Kiara released the illusion and once again had her kitten. "That went well, right Jacob?"

Jordyn burst into the room. She kept her eye on the kitten before saying, "What just happened exactly?"

"I want to take Jacob with me to school so I put an illusion over him top make him seem like a folder." Kiara explained with exaggerated patience. "I haven't done an illusion in a while so I thought I'd test it out on you."