One Step Closer {Damon Salvatore} Chapter Seventeen: Only Option

Note: The first part of this chapter will be from Kiara's point of view as she will be explaining the way her life had been in the Dark Dimension, so it will be in first person until the end of her explanation.

Chapter Seventeen

Hurricane by 30 Seconds to Mars

No matter how many times that you told me you wanted to leave

No matter how many breaths that you took, you still couldn't breathe

No matter how many nights that you lie wide awake to the sound of the poison rain

Where did you go?Where did you go?Where did you go?

As days go by, the night's on fire

Tell me would you kill to save a life?

Tell me would you kill to prove you're right?

Crash, crash, burn,let it all burn

This hurricane's chasing us all underground

~~~~

The people of Earth are not alone. There is another realm somewhere out there, a darker realm. In this Dark Dimension, creatures of the night rule the night with an iron fist. Demons and vampires have complete control. Humans are slaves and all too often they are worked to death and replaced. Other species are used as slaves as well. Witches. Druids. No one is safe.

My mother was, is, a pure blooded druid. The last pure druid of her line. She's beautiful, with long red hair, bright green eyes, and glowing skin. No amount of time in slavery has diminished that. Her name is Gwendolyn.

Her master, and my master once upon a time, is a kitsune. Kitsune are Japanese fox demons. His name is Masashi and he is my father.

I hate him.

You complain of difficult lives, all of you do, but you have no idea. In the Dark Dimension you get three years.

Three years of blissful ignorance. Three years of hugs and kisses. Three years of compliments and encouragement.

On my third birthday, I became my half-sister's whipping boy. If she misbehaved, I took her punishments. It's common for more important families to have one for each child.

It was difficult but my mother taught me as much as she could during this time about Earth. Languages, math, science, anything she could. On my tenth birthday I was reassigned to a large farm where my druid abilities would be of more use.

They replaced my original position with a human. She lasted eight months before the punishments finally killed her.

On the farm, every druid had ten acres to grow and harvest a day. I tried to help the others as often as I could but that usually resulted in punishments. Being one hundred percent non-human gave me a lot more endurance but there's still a limit to how much of a beating a person can take.

You have to understand that by my twelfth birthday, at least a quarter of the slaves born the same year as I was were dead. At least. And half of those deaths were from sheer exhaustion. The average life expectancy of a slave was twenty-four and I was halfway there….Half of my life was over!

Two weeks before my fifteenth birthday, I was pulled from farm duty to animal care.

It was a hot summer day with a cool breeze, two years after being assigned to animal care. The kind of day people drop their guard. It started out tedious, even boring. I should have been grateful.