cigarette

Spencer

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" I was awoken by a loud voice. I groaned and covered my head with my pillow, only to have it snatched away.

"Come on spaghetti. Get up!" I peeked from underneath my pillow and was met with my best friend's smiling face.

"Hi." I glared at her. Was she really waking me up this early?

"Tess. Do you know  what time it is?"

Contessa Mayebarry is my best friend. Tessa and I have been best friends since, basically we were in the womb. Well, for most of the time we've known each other, we were forced to be best friends.

At first, Tessa and I weren't that excited about each other. Our parents, who are best friends, always forced us to be together. We were always around each other. Family dinners or gatherings, parties, church and at school.

It was at one of our family dinners, we started liking each other. One night after a family dinner, I was sitting outside on the curb smoking a cigarette, when she came and sat next to me.

"Can I have a smoke?"  I looked up and saw Tessa  standing by the restaurant. I tossed my pack toward her and then she plopped down next to me, letting out a deep, heavy sigh.

"Still going at it?" I asked her, lighting my lighter. Tessa put the cigarette in her mouth and leaned toward my lighter.

"Yep."  In Tessa's house, all of our parents were drunk and dancing and signing. Acting like they were at a college party, or a club. It was kind of boring, listening to old college stories and inappropriate jokes and talks.

Tessa and I were the only teenagers there. At this time we were both in 8th grade. I was 15, Tessa 13. I got bored of just sitting there watching them and went outside to smoke. Then Tessa came out shortly after.

We've never really talked outside these dinners, and when we did, that was mostly just,"Hey. How are you?" or a small wave.

I nodded. Then there was an awkward silence. Tessa threw the cigarette on the ground and stepped it out.

She turned and looked at me, "Wanna go to my room?" I shrugged, throwing my cigarette down too.

"Why not?"

So we went back in the house and went and sat on the roof and just talked about a lot of stuff. Our parents. School. We found out that we had a lot in common and decided that we could be friends.

Over the years, we've just become closer and closer. We do a lot together, and it's almost like we are brother and sister. She knows me like the back of her hand, as do I to her.

So, when Tessa started jumping on me and my bed, mostly me, I wasn't surprised.

"Tess, dude stop jumping on the - ugh." I let out a groan when she fell on me and I buried my face in the pillow.

"Please get off of me."

I felt her roll off my back and lay next to me. I peaked from underneath my pillow and glared at Tessa.

"Why are you up at this ungodly hour?" I asked her. Tessa turned and looked at me shocked.

"What?" I asked.

Tessa

"You forgot didn't you?" Spencer stared at me blankly.

"Forgot what?"

"Spencer." I groaned. We had to go get a suit and dress for a dinner with some college professors from Butler University.

Spencer and I are seniors in high school, and we've started looking at colleges. We both know what we want do major in. Me business. Spencer nursing.

They contacted us a couple of weeks ago and asked if we wanted to have dinner with them and discuss college things. I agreed, because Butler is my dream school, and I asked Spencer to come along to see if he may be interested in going to Butler.

After a lot of persuading and finally a deal of free food for a week, he agreed to come with me. They wanted to have dinner at some fancy place out of town.

Our parents had freaked out, mostly mine. When it comes to school and basically everything, they freak out.

They planned us a "special" weekend. Spencer's mother was a fashion designer and contacted a friend, and asked for the nicest suit and dress. Then my parents paid for a weekend in a hotel out of town.

So, we had to leave early to go get the dress and suit, and go to the hotel.

And Spencer forgot.

"The dinner? College? My future depends on this." I got up from the bed and went to Spencer's walk-in closet.

"Oh! That dinner. I didn't forget, I just don't understand why you're here at," he paused, looking over at the clock on his bedside table, "three o'clock in the morning?"

I rummaged through his clothes, looking for something clean. Which is really hard when you're going through a pile of guy's clothes.

"Because we have to go out of town to get our suit and dress at 10. And getting breakfast plus driving the two hours to get there," I continued walking into his bathroom, looking for his toiletries.

"Which might be longer seeing how we have never been there before." I walked back into his room. "We could get lost. And - Spencer!" He laid back down and went to sleep.

"Get up!" I walked over to him and hit him with the pillow until he got up.

"Ok! Ok! I'm up!" He was covering his face with his arms. I stopped hitting him and gave him the mom stance. I put my hands on my hips and cocked my head to side, glaring at him.

"Go shower. Now. If you aren't downstairs in 30 minutes, I'm coming back up here with a sledgehammer." Spencer groaned and cursed at me under his breath, getting out of bed and went in the bathroom and slammed the door.

I turned to walk out of his room with a huge smile on my face.

Spencer. 0 Tessa. 1