28; darkness

Freya woke up to a loud bang. When another followed, she realised she hadn't dreamt it and quickly slipped out of bed to put on her shoes. Her heart was racing already, disoriented and confused at what was happening.

"Mum?" she cautioned.

"Over here," Jennifer whispered from near the window in the living room.

Freya walked towards her and looked outside, a gasp escaping as soon as she saw where the noise was coming from. The entire forest was on fire and the smoke had thickened so much that she thought she could taste it in her throat.

"Forest fire?" Freya mumbled, her eyes glued on the flames.

Jennifer shook her head in disbelief, "That's what it looks like."

Freya watched the fire destroy everything in it's path, a sense of gloom taking over. It was then that her eyes moved to where she could see minuscule sparks fly into the air until they suddenly disappeared.

"Mum-" Freya began.

"I know," she replied from behind. "We need to go now."

"What?" she said, bewildered.

Jennifer grabbed the car keys and her coat, throwing it on. "The fire is moving our way."

"But the smoke, it'll kill us, they'll  kill us."

"We'll die if we stay here. I think he knows we're here," she muttered, opening the door.

"Who knows? Mum, you're not making any sense."

"Freya, there's no time for talking. Move, now!" she yelled.

Freya's eyes widened and she quickly moved towards the door, going downstairs while Jennifer followed.

"I've unlocked the car, get in," Jennifer said as they reached the ground floor.

Freya ran outside, her heart beating uncontrollably as she looked for the car. After spotting it by the tree, she ran in its direction. Slipping into their seats, Jennifer hit the gas and sped on to the main road. Freya put on her seat belt and locked her door.

"I can't freaking see anything," Jennifer muttered, hastily.

Freya was suddenly pushed against the door with an oomph as Jennifer swerved the car around. "Shit," she swore under her breath as silhouettes appeared in the smoke.

"Mum, drive," Freya said, urgently.

"I'm driving, I'm driving," she said, speeding away from them.

"Mum, who did you mean when you said he knows where we are?"

"I said that?" Jennifer said, monotonously as she kept her eyes on the road.

"Yes, you did. Is there something I should know?"

"No, just let me drive," she said, speeding up.

"We need to get off the road, the creatures will see us," Freya said, irritated.

She felt as if her mother was being reckless. Leaving the apartment was a bad decision, Freya thought as she saw the panic and confusion in Jennifer's eyes. Why couldn't they have charmed the apartment? Surely, Jennifer could've protected the apartment unless it wasn't the creatures she was running from.

"Where are you taking us?" Freya asked.

Jennifer tightened her hands on the wheel.

"WHERE ARE WE GOING?" Freya yelled and suddenly one of the creatures appeared in the middle of the road and the car swerved out of Jennifer's control, driving into the woodland area beside the road.