29; end to the beginning

Tristan's head felt heavy when he finally woke up. He opened his eyes to the smell of dirt and smoke reaching his nose. He blinked and stared at the ground for a moment before craning his neck and looking upwards.

In front of him was a fire and slowly, he began to comprehend the situation. He attempted to sit up as his predicament became clearer to him.
Upon turning his head to the side, he saw Jennifer laying motionless and propped up against a tree. And eventually, his eyes met Freya's who looked hopeless as she sat idly, restrained like him.

Her eyes were wide, transparent with fear but soon his eyes travelled to her cheek where a red scar, which wasn't there before, now showed itself.

More gunshots echoed past the trees and Tristan began to pull away from the restraints. He looked down at his feet which were clasped securely in metal.

"Fuck," he muttered as he felt the metal digging into his skin.

Tristan yelled in pain as he pushed his hands against the metal, wilting it as one of them broke free. He managed to take the other one off before starting with the ones around his ankles.

"Fuck," he growled again, finally freeing his feet as well. Blood fell from one of his palms but he covered it with the fabric of his clothes until it stopped.

He stood up and staggered back, holding himself up against the tree.

"Where is he?" he asked Freya, walking over to her.

He got down to his knees and started with the restraints around her wrists when suddenly, he heard a shuffling sound from behind him.

"Look out!" Freya yelled as Tristan rolled on to his side.

It was one of the creatures. Its face was blotted with blood from unhealed wounds and had a disfigured leg that was sluggish as it moved closer to Freya.

Finding no time to change into his wolf, he lunged forwards and bit into its neck, tearing out its carotid artery. Falling on to it, he slashed his claws into its chest before finally decapitating the beast with all that he had left.

Tristan felt the thick blood on his lips and chin, dripping down his jaw.

He staggered away from the creature, his heart thumping with adrenaline.

"Help my mum," Freya said, her eyes closed. "Help her."

Tristan looked at Jennifer who seemed to be awake, struggling to breathe. He walked to her and looked at the strange encryption on her chains.

"I can't do anything, not with these things on me," she coughed.

"Okay, okay," Tristan said, starting with her chains when he heard something above him.

He looked up and was surprised to see Billy hanging from one of the tree branches.

"Billy?" Tristan said.

"Hey Alpha," he replied.

"What the fuck are you doing up there?"

"Oh you know, just hanging around," he smirked before climbing down.

Tristan resisted a chuckle, "Who else is here?"

"Everyone, the fire was going to reach the pack house. What's going on here?"

"Go help Freya, there's a maniac here and-"

"I know, I saw him back there," Billy interrupted.

Freya watched as Billy broke the chains with his bare hands. She couldn't feel half of her face as she stood up, holding on to the tree as she steadied herself.