~Two~

The next few months blurred together, except for the fact that it seemed like Mom was getting worse -- if that was possible at this point -- and Hermes decided to drop by more often. I had graduated from my school last month, and surprisingly Hermes had shown up for the last few minutes of the ceremony before disappearing again.

There was something he was hiding about his relationship with Mom, but I didn't pry. Seventeen years of resentment wasn't something a few visits and apologies could easily repair, but I gave Hermes grudging respect anyways. At least he was man (god?) enough to admit his mistakes.

It was already the beginning of August, meaning this was officially the last week I would be living with Mom. She was still oblivious as always, and she hadn't had another sane moment since the day she pleaded for me to stay.

Everything was already planned out: places for me to stay, money, how long my supplies would last, and the guestimate arrival date of when I should reach Camp Half-Blood. Over the summer, I'd practiced with my bow, and now I could hit a target's bullseye from over three-hundred feet away. That took a long time to master, but at least I felt more comfortable with one of the only weapons I could use to fend of monsters with.

Speaking of which, Kelli seemed to disappear off the face of the earth, and the only monsters that have attacked were these chicken ladies that smelled like old people and mothball soup. I took them out in under twenty minutes, which I choose to believe is an accomplishment. And I did eventually go into Luke's room again, finding two bronze daggers that he had left under his mattress. Those daggers were always tucked into my belt, ready for me to throw or defend myself in a moment's notice.

I felt a strange sense of déjà vu as the same events as that night I chose to stay unfolded. But again, something had to disrupt my escape.

From outside my window, I saw two people hobbling on our lawn. Great, hobos decided to stake out on our lawn again. Sighing, I was about to go out there and shoo them off, but I noticed what they were leaning against. It was a dog the size of a moving truck, peacefully snoring.

I had seen those kind of dogs before -- hellhounds, Hermes told me they were called -- while I'd walk home from school when I was younger, but they never really bothered me, so I brushed them off. Thank the gods that they never attacked me before, because if they were that big, I could only imagine how big their teeth were when they decided to rip into someone's body.

I glanced over at my backpack on my desk, before grabbing it and heading downstairs. I had a feeling that the people out there wanted something from us, but probably more from Mom than me, so I patiently waited, fiddling with my concealed bow in case I needed to make some human pincushions tonight.

-X-

Literally ten seconds passed before I heard the gentle chime of our doorbell. Mom ran out of the kitchen, shoved past me, flung the door open, and happily cried, "Luke!" Two boys were waiting at the front door. One had green eyes and messy black hair, while the other had brown/black eyes and black hair as well. Green eyes had an orange shirt on, while black eyes was clad in...well, all black.

Mom hugged black eyes. "Oh, my dear boy!" I was surprised that Mom thought that he was Luke-they looked nothing alike. She then smiled at green eyes. "Luke!" By the look in the boy's eyes, I could tell Mom was strangling him. "Come in! I have your lunch ready!"

I had enough time to move out of the way, before Mom grabbed either boy by their wrist, dragging them all the way into the kitchen. I sighed, quickly following behind, knowing that they were probably already planning on calling the cops. That was a headache I did not need.

The boys looked around the house, staring at all the mirrors and Hermes merchandise Mom had around the house. Green eyes seemed particularly interested in the portrait of Luke we had hanging under the clock with a little Hermes statue on the top. I'm oblivious if it took me this long to realize Hermes was my father.