Prologue

He twisted the small ebony amulet in his fingers, letting the chill of the stone seep into his hands. He clasped it tightly as he looked up at the terrain ahead, taking in the wondrous sight. Never before had Reindvic imagined the true beauty of Skyrim. He never thought there could be anything more than what his adventures with the Companions could offer.

He tucked the amulet back into his pocket, knowing if he dared wear it, it would make him a prime target for thieves and bandits. He wasn't as much scared as bandits as he was thieves. Bandits barrel toward you as if they had not a care in the world. Trained thieves, however, come and go without a trace. They can topple entire businesses without a hitch, yet silently, and unpredictably.

Reindvic eyed the stony path ahead before carrying on. The large iron greatsword on his back rustled against his heavy armor, making a dreadful noise amongst the tranquil sounds of the woods surrounding the road.

Taking yet another stop, Reindvic pulled out his map, making sure he was going the right way. He couldn't afford to step off the path. The Companions had sent him to assist Ulfric, to represent the group. He needed to be at Windhelm soon.

An earth-shaking roar suddenly filled the air, causing Reindvic to drop his map and pull the greatsword from his back. He scanned the area, looking for what caused the disturbance.

Another shout resonated off the mountains. Reindvic turned to the far horizon on the other side of the valley. A dot of orange appeared in the sky, and smoke started to drift from the mountains. Reindvic's eyes widened in horror as the massive beast appeared over the range.

It was a dragon.