Chapter 36

I catch Watson and drag him into the huge master bedroom. Floor to ceiling windows give an amazing view of the city. I shut the door and turn to face him. He's standing on the other side of the room, looking out the window and down towards the trees. From this angle I can see a tightness of his jaw, and I see the muscle in his forearm moving as he clenches and unclenches one fist. Sometimes the way Watson shows such a physical anger scares me.

'Why were you looking for me?' I ask, my voice barely carrying across the room. I'm still standing with my back against the door, as if I'm about to flee.

Watson doesn't turn to face me. 'I was just wondering where you had gone.'

'I have my phone on me,' I say. 'You could have just texted me.'

Watson glances at me and scowls. 'Sorry. I didn't know you wanted to be alone with Lucas.' He spits the name off his tongue like poison. 'After everything he's done to you, Em...'

'So you don't think I should make up with him? I grew up with him, Watson. He was my closest friend, and I've missed him more than anything. We both made mistakes, but we're better now. I'm better now. I don't get wasted like I used to. I don't set fires. I learnt how to control my panics. I'm not as much of a bitch as I used to be. Maybe now I can be friends with him again.'

Watson scoffs. 'As if he wants to be friends with you again. He's just dirty Prisley scum. He's suddenly realised you're hot and he's thinking with his dick. He doesn't give a shit about you, Em.'

I stare at Watson, appalled. 'What, and you're different, are you?' I snap. 'You get drunk and try to kiss me only a week after you broke up with Taylor. As if you're not thinking with your dick!'

Watson glares at me and then takes two strides to close the gap between us. 'How long have you been seeing him behind my back?'

'I haven't been seeing him!'

Watson rolls his eyes. 'That date, the other night you were talking about? You kept it a secret from everyone. It was Lucas, wasn't it? You're making a mistake. You can't be with him. You're not supposed to be with him. You're supposed to be mine.'

I open my mouth to respond but he just shakes his head and pushes past me, making me stumble. Before I can do anything he opens the door and leaves, slamming it behind him.

I collapse back on the bed and stare out at the view, wondering what it would be like to wake up here every morning. The east-facing window would give a gorgeous view of a sunrise over the bay, the city and the trees. But now the sky is black and thick with stars. I wonder if Lucas is still watching them.

Just when I'm considering heading back downstairs to the party the door creaks open. I look up, expecting either Watson or Lucas, but it's Violet at the door.

'Violet,' I say, surprised. I stand up. 'What's going on?'

'Well Watson is mad you're dating Lucas behind his back and he wants to punch something. The boys have all taken Watson downstairs to throw rocks off the road into the trees. I mean, honestly.' She shakes her head. 'And Findlay has been getting steadily drunker since you left and he's started hitting on me and it's really uncomfortable because I can just tell that he is still devastated about his girlfriend and trying to use me as a rebound,' Violet says in a rush.

'Are you sure you don't like him?' I ask, raising my eyebrows at her cheekily.

'He's hot, that's it,' Violet says. 'But I'm pretty sure I need a guy with whom I can debate political regimes and feminism and Doctor Who. Findlay just likes to play guitar and skate.'

I laugh. 'Okay, let's get back downstairs so I can save you from Findlay. And it looks like you need another drink.'

Violet opens the door and I follow her out of the bedroom and towards the stairs that lead back down to the main level. Just as we're about to go down the stairs Lucas emerges from the back of the house.