Valentine's Day Special

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! This is how Emily and Lucas spent their Valentine's. This is set a year after the end of the novel. Enjoy! :) xx

I'm the one that draws the short straw to go into Starbucks to get the band's orders. When we're touring USA there's not much choice for coffee. They don't have cute independent coffee shops like the ones all over Australia. Instead, they have millions of carbon copy Starbucks that sell the same burnt brew. But if you add heaps of sugar and cream it's drinkable.

I'm running through the order in my head. Peppermint latte for Augie. Caramel Macchiato for Rodney. White chocolate mocha for Eric. Hot chocolate for Paul. Black tea for George. And for me... I stare up at the menu, undecided, and realise there are red hearts drawn in chalk all over the menu board. On the counter there are chocolates in the shape of love hearts. And right in front of my face they are selling limited edition Valentine's mugs for your special someone.

My stomach lurches. Valentine's Day. The North American TSD tour is almost over, and we'll be back in Australia just in time for Valentine's, but I hadn't thought about my plans. I haven't even discussed it with Lucas. Last year we didn't really do anything for Valentine's Day; we just hung out. But maybe this year (without the recent death of our best friend hanging over our heads), he'd want to do something special? And I hadn't thought at all.

When I've ordered and lug the coffees back out to the bus I voice my fears to the guys. I've been touring with them on and off for six months, writing my travel blog from the unique position as a touring member of Two Soap Dolls, mixing with the whole crew. It's been crazy, but it means Lucas and I don't get much time together. He's still in Australia, about to start his second year of his chemistry degree.

'What should I do?' I say. 'It's Valentine's. We have to do something romantic, don't we?'

'Surprise him,' Augie tells me. 'You know, with something really cool.'

'Like what?' I say.

George Addison, who is sitting at a table on the bus, typing something on a laptop, swings around in his seat and faces me. 'How about you surprise him with a secret show?'

'What show?' I ask.

George raises his eyebrows, and then looks around to the rest of the band, a mischievous smile playing on his face. 'I've got a friend who lives on the coast. He's opening his brand new pub soon, and he wants a little bit of publicity. I think I've got a really great idea.'

*

Lucas is waiting for me when I walk out of the airport. He's leaning against his car, but when he sees me he steps forward and embraces me, causing me to drop my luggage. I kiss him before he can lean down to pick up my suitcase.

'Hey,' I say. 'I've missed you.'

'I missed you too,' he says. 'Come on, everyone's waiting for you at your place. They want to hear about the show at Madison Square Garden.'

Lucas's car is a manual, which means he has to change gears, but when he's not changing gears he reaches across and takes my hand. I like the way he drives, with the windows down. He's wearing dark sunglasses and half a grin, like he can't contain his smile.

It's still uni holidays, so Watson is home from Melbourne, and sure enough, everyone is actually waiting at my house. It's been almost three months since I've been home, so it feels good to walk down the hall, past Mum's study and into the familiar living and dining area, with the deck looking out onto the pool. Ainsley is in bikinis – she's been swimming heaps lately, she's told me – and she wraps a towel around herself before giving me a huge hug.