Chapter 13. Amortentia

'Students staying at school will have extra Potions class with Professor Slughorn, from ten to one every Monday.' Professor McGonagall announced the next morning.
'WHAT?' Draco slammed down his goblet of pumpkin juice and glared at the professor.
'This is an order from the Ministry of Magic, Mr. Malfoy. They are doing this for the education of young wizards and witches. I suppose you don't need Felix Felicis to support you throughout these few hours.' McGonagall sat down again, then a flurry of chatter boomed across the remaining students.
'Ginny, you've got to help me.' Hermione begged her friend, who had Hermione's Pygmy Puff singing on her shoulder.
'You and Malfoy are going well.' Ginny remarked.
'Too well. He snogged me again! And again. And again.' Hermione lowered her voice.
'Wow!' Ginny leaned closer.
'It's not great. I don't want to be kissed every time I see him.' Hermione sighed.
'You're not going to help yourself out this time. You've got Potions extra with him today.' Ginny crunched an apple.
'Oh bloody-bloody-' Hermione's hand banged the table.
'Hell.' Ginny finished.

--

'Good morning students.' Professor Slughorn dawdled into the Potions classroom slowly, secretly looking around for Harry.
'So.' He continued, looking a little crestfallen since Harry wasn't here.
'We will be doing Amortentia today.'
The girls of all houses sighed dreamily.
'Since there are a lot of recent reports about Amortentia gone wrong, this lesson will be all about Amortentia. Now, we can't see a Potion before it is brewed, huh? Partner up and get a book from the storage cupboard. I suppose there are much of you needing it.' Slughorn glanced at Draco, who was yawning while sneaking peeks at Hermione.
Blaise quickly stepped beside Ginny, who at first looked a bit bewildered, then casual.
'Granger.' Draco shoved Hermione lightly from the side.
'No snogging.' Hermione quickly blurted out.
Draco smirked, then nodded.

After an hour and a half of brewing, Slughorn stepped up to examine the Potions.
'Mr. Zabini.....oh, pineap-OH!' Slughorn hopped back as the Pygmy Puff surfaced from the pink potion, drenched in solution.
'I think we'll need to add in a note that animals are not supposed to be in Potions.' Slughorn smiled at Ginny, then moved on to Hermione and Draco's Potion.
'Parchment, pineapple, dew......hmm, not bad!' He took out a vial and poured a bit of the potion into it.
'Mr. Malfoy, what do you smell?' He asked.
'Peppermint.....conditioner.....parchment?' Draco frowned at the last scent.
'Miss Granger?'
'Lavender, parchment......mint. Mint?' Hermione did a double take at that scent.
'You two smell the same things! Nearly the same things.' Slughorn smiled at them, then moved on to Finch-Fletchley's Potion.
Draco and Hermione exchanged a glance, then looked away.
'We'll clean that up later.' Slughorn said after examining Neville's Potion.

'Class dismissed.' Slughorn waved his hand as the students filed out at one.
'Oh thank you, yes, pineapple is my favourite, Longbottom.' He murmured as Hermione packed up her bag.
'See you later, Granger.' Draco walked out of the classroom, but his shoes slipped on pink liquid.
'HE-OURGH.' He groaned as he landed face flat on the Potion.
'MR MALFOY!' Slughorn exclaimed as Draco stood up, his eyes transfixed on Hermione. She backed away.
'Granger.' Draco murmured dreamily, heading towards Hermione.
She let out a scream.
'DRACO!'

-