found | 02

"What promise?"

"You promised me you won't hurt yourself but you did." I watched as her hair turned blue and black and it looked like the night sky before a storm crept over, "Why? Why did you do it?"

"I missed you. I missed nana . . . and granpop. . . I kept wondering how ma and pa would have been like if they were still alive. I . . . I miss our family."

"Vinny!" Joy exclaimed when I coughed. My eyes widened when it stained the drawings with blood. The loud noise caused everyone to rush into the room.

"Vinn, listen to me," the little girl . . . my nana gently held my face in her hands, "you have to go now."

"But then I won't be able to see you again."

"You will, but this is not the time," the teenage boy . . . my granpop added urgently, holding my arm.

I turned to my parents. I've missed them my entire life, I can't just . . . "I can't leave now."

"Honey," ma rushed over and wiped my tears with her hands, "I'm so, so sorry we weren't able to be with you when you were growing up. But your pa and I have always been watching over you."  She kissed my forehead.

Pa smiled, ruffling my hair, "We'll always be with you, buddy. I'd love to have a chat with you but it'd have to wait." He pulled me into a tight embrace but had to let go, "You have to go home, son."

"Vinny!" Joy yelled, holding my hand tightly, "promise me you won't hurt yourself again!"

My vision is getting blurry and all I could see is them gathering around me, their hair showing the darkest shade of blue I've ever seen.

I mustered all my strength to say, "Only if you do me a favor."

"What's that?"

"You remember my favorite color?"

"Yellow?"

"I want to see that on your hair before I go."

I felt hot tears dripping down my cheek but it wasn't mine, it's hers. She forced a smile and nodded. Knowing that I'd keep this promise, she did her best to be happy.

And on her hair, I witnessed the most stunning sunrise I've ever seen.

"Bye, Vinny!"

I smiled to myself. See you when I see you, Joy.

Thank you for being my joy and happiness.

Thanks for being my angel.