Tank in the Mall

~Chapter two~
I was woken up by Nick, who decided
that nudging me with his foot to do so was better than just shaking me awake.
'What do I expect from him, honestly?' I thought to myself.
I pushed myself up off the floor ands grabbed a medkit, having used mine the previous night. I grabbed some pills, and I even found a molotov in the corner of the room. I grabbed my gun and a refill on ammunition, and by the time I was ready to rock n' roll, Ellis, Rochelle, and Coach were just waking up.
I sighed and sat back down against the wall, waiting for them to gear up and get ready. As I watched Ellis and Coach talk about Jimmy Gibbs Jr., I felt someone sit down next to me. When I turned to see who it was, I was surprised to find Nick.
"Hey there." I greeted.
"Hi." He mumbled back.
I raised an eyebrow.
"Dude, I know you're a grouch and a pessimist, but what's wrong? Other than the zombie apocalypse."
"That IS what's wrong. I miss Vegas and gambling.. I had a pretty good life." He grumbled.
I was shocked that Nick could open up to anyone like that.
"I miss my old life too. I had great friends, the best boyfriend anyone could ask for.. the internet.." I sighed in defeat, "and now it's all gone. Just like that."
Rochelle responded from behind me.
"Well, you're not alone. None of us are. We have eachother. We can all be friends, right?" she smiled, trying to motivate the group.
"Hell yeah! You guys are a great group of friends! Shoot, if we weren't in the middle of the apocalypse I'd probably take y'all out for a beer!" Ellis told us, excitedly.
"Ellis, I'm not twenty-one." I giggled.
"So what? Don't matter now. It's the apocalypse! I'm sure we can find some booze somewhere.." he trailed off, thinking about where he could possibly find alcohol in the middle of the apocalypse.
"I don't think it's best to be drunk when there are things out there wanting to kill us all the time. Let's wait on that." Coach said.
Ellis nodded. Now that he thought about it, it WAS an awful idea, what with all the infected out there.
"We're losing daylight people. We gonna go into the mall or what?" Nick spoke up.
We all readied ourselves and left the safe room. I finally decided to use my gun; Ellis had showed me how to shoot the previous night. I just wanted to be safe again, around normal, non-infected people. Thinking about a normal life distracted me, and left room for me to fall behind the rest of the group. I didn't even hear the growl of the hunter that was about to pounce on me.
The infected's shriek snapped me out of my thoughts, and I saw it flying through the air, right towards me. I screamed as it pounced on me, clawing and tearing at my clothing. I yelled for someone from our team to save me, and Rochelle responded quickly. I thanked her, and pushed myself on my feet.
Luckily, the Hunter didn't get too far, only enough to rip into my clothing, but no skin. We kept moving through the mall. It was surprisingly quiet. Too quiet.
That was when we felt it. The ground was shaking. We heard a loud roar and thudding footsteps.
"TAAAAAANK!" The four other survivors yelled.
What rounded the corner was a massive hulk-like zombie with huge muscles and some pretty fast legs.
"Holy shit! What is that?!" I yelled as I ran back behind the more experienced survivors.
"Just shoot it! Shoot it!" Nick screamed, loudly.
"Katie! Use your Molotov on the tank!" Rochelle yelled out to me.
I nodded, lit the top of the rag in the Molotov, and aimed for the tank.
Bullseye.
The tank let out a loud yell, and went charging towards me. I screamed and fell back, shooting at it with my gun furiously. It had separated me from the other survivors, and was backing me up into a corner. Just before it could land a devastating, and possibly life-ending, blow, it let out a defeated cry, and fell to the ground just a few feet away. It was dead.
I stood there for a second, letting it sink in. I thought about what could've happened to me. I started to shake, and I tried to hold back the tears forming in my eyes. The others made their way over to me to make sure I was alright.
"Oh honey! Are you aright?" Rochelle asked me, checking to make sure I didn't have any wounds, but overlooking my arm.
"W-what the f-fuck was that?!" I yelled, tears starting to stream down my face.
I quickly dried them, knowing Nick would poke fun at me later if he saw. He didn't look the least bit happy at the moment, but his eyes held concern in them, even if it was just barely there.
"That was a tank. They're nasty sons of bitches." Ellis responded.
Nick glanced over at me, noticing a huge gash on my right arm. I
"Hey, you're bleeding. Guys hold up, I'm gonna heal her. Lets go find a table, alright?" He grabbed my hand and led me into a room, shutting the door behind us.
Ellis, Coach, and Rochelle stood guard, making sure no zombie got to us. I looked at my wounded arm as I sat on top of the table. I hadn't even noticed it until Nick pointed it out. Nick pulled his own medkit off his back, and opened it up.
"Hold on, let Doctor Nick fix ya up."
I stopped him before he wrapped the gauze around my arm.
"That's your medkit, I don't wanna take that from you."
"Don't worry about it. It's on me. Don't tell the others. I'm only doing this for you." He growled as he patched me up.
When he finished, he helped me down off the table, even though I could've done it myself.
"Wow, you really are a good doctor." I thought aloud, observing his work.
"I've done it before. Let's keep moving." He said bluntly, walking out of the room.
I followed not too far behind him as the survivors and I made our way further into the mall.