Survivors at the Bridge

A woman stood on a balcony-like ledge up on the bridge.
   "Hello down there!" She greeted cheerfully.
   "Is that another survivor?" Nick mumbled to himself.
   Rochelle smiled widely and waved at the other female.
   "Oh thank god! I thought I was the last woman on Earth!" She called out.
   "Yeah, I know that feeling. I'm Zoey." The woman chuckled.
   "Hey, hello there. You wanna let the bridge down for us? We need to drive through!" Coach yelled up at her.
   Zoey just shook her head, sadly.
   "Sorry, can't. We got wounded up here." She paused for a moment, and looked towards Ellis. "Nice car dude!"
   Ellis stared up at her blankly. Nick, Rochelle, Coach, and I looked at him questioningly.
   "Aren't you gonna answer her, Ellis?" I asked him.
   "Man.. she is so beautiful.. she is so beautiful.." He murmured to himself, and then snapped out of it. "Well hello! Hello. Beautiful weather we're havin' huh?" he called up to her.
   Zoey looked around at the grey, cloudy, and rainy sky, then back down to him.
   "If you like this kind of weather I suppose." she replied.
   "We're uh, havin' a.. oh no.. I'm too nervous, I can't talk to her man!" Ellis quieted down.
   "You've been killing zombies for the better part of two days, boy. I think you can talk to a girl." Coach laughed.
   Ellis shook his head.
   "Naw, I can't. I mean look at her!"
   The group rolled their eyes and looked back up at the other survivor.
   "Isn't there some way you can lower this bridge from up there?" Rochelle asked.
   "I'm sorry, there really isn't!" Zoey apologized.
   "Do uh.. we..um.. need to know some sort of a password or somethin'?" Ellis asked stupidly, distracted by the woman on the bridge.
   "Uh.. no," Zoey shook her head, "The generator is out of gas. If you get over to the other side and fill it up we can cover you-" she was cut off by Nick.
   "That's terrific cupcake. Look is there a man up there we can talk to?" He asked rudely.
   "Oh no I don't know what to do! Go to hell Colonel Sanders! I could shoot you where you stand." She yelled back down at him.
   Rochelle and I burst out laughing at her retort. Nick scoffed at the two of us and looked back towards Zoey.
   "Would you lighten up? Man nobody can take a joke anymore." Nick grumbled.
   "Oh Nick, charming is not a word I would use to describe you." Rochelle laughed.
   "Hey! You down there! Be calm! We're cops!" An unfamiliar voice called out to us.
   We moved our gaze back up to the bridge to a see a man, who was dressed in a vest, a (dirtied) white undershirt, black jeans, and combat boots.
  "Tell me this boy ain't for real.." Coach shook his head and sighed.
   "That guy's no cop." Nick responded.
   "No, no, no. I AM a cop. Name's Francis. Are any of you vampires?" The man yelled down at us.
   Zoey face-palmed and (from what we could see down here) sighed.
   "What the hell is this guy talking about?" Nick asked us, as if he just heard the most stupid thing in the world.
   "PLEASE tell me this boy ain't for real.. shit, okay.. Yes! We are vampires! All of us are vampires!" Coach replied sarcastically.
   "Louis! I told you there were vampires!" The man called out to someone else on the bridge.
   We all looked at one another questioningly.
   "Oh man! I know! That's what I've been sayin'! If there are zombies, there's gotta be vampires! Wolfman, mummies, aliens... all that shit man, it just makes sense!" Ellis replied gleefully.
   "Yeah, yeah! That's what I've been saying too!" Francis shouted back.
   "Okay jackass," Nick interrupted, "lower the goddamned bridge so we can drive our goddamned car across!"
   "Is there any one of you five who isn't an asshole?" Francis asked to the rest of us.
   "I'm telling you for the last GODDAMNED time! Lower the GODDAMNED bridge you greasy, vest-wearing monkey!" Nick snarled.
   "Go to hell, suit."
   "Hey boys! Okay, if we get to the other side, can you help us lower the bridge?" Rochelle broke up the two.
   "Hell yeah! I'll help YOU." Francis smirked.
   "See Nick, you should try being nice sometime." Rochelle teased him.
  "Okay, well, I guess we'll take it. Yeah, wish us luck! See ya.." Ellis stuttered out, starting to walk away.
   We all said goodbye and began to walk away, Nick still mumbling curses under his breath at the biker.
   "Come on, Nick. Let it go." I smiled at him, handing him his gun.
   He took it from me and his face softened when he turned to me.
   "I would be able to if he wasn't such a goddamned prick."
I chuckled as we walked away from the bridge, and into the town by the riverbank.