00-summer

Long strands of dark hair fell in front of Evangeline's face as she dragged the rag in her hand in circular motions against the table in front of her, her small hands working to get the grease stains off the red linoleum.

Her eyebrows pulled themselves together in concentration, her body leaning impossibly over the counter as she let out a groan of frustration at the fact her short little arms couldn't reach the end of the island. She scampered over to the other side, swiftly cleaning the other half of the table.

When she was finished, she threw the rag onto the counter by the register, and she walked towards a specific booth, where a certain beanie clad boy had sat almost that entire summer.

Her hand curled around his empty milkshake as he smiled crookedly, looking up from his laptop to say, "Thanks Lee, can I get a refill and a burger? I'm famished." He rubbed his belly for effect, his eyes wide and his lips pulled into a pout. "Sure thing Jug-O." She remarked, a smirk growing on her face when he grumbled, "I told you to stop calling me that!"  Evangeline turned on her heel, her curly hair swishing behind her as she doesn't reply, instead she walks behind the counter to put in the boy's order with Pop.

She didn't take much notice when the jingle of the bell sounded, signaling someone entered the shoppe, her hands steady as she typed in Jughead's order into the computer, putting it on his ever-growing tab, as per usual.

Frankly, she didn't look up from the computer until she heard the shuffle of Pop Tate's feet against the hardwood, and his hushed whisper at another waitress, before he approached the person who just entered the diner.

"Can I help you?" The plump man asked, all signs of hospitality gone from his normally welcoming face as he stared into the eyes of a detective.

Evangeline's ears followed the poorly concealed conversation, her eyes widening with every passing sentence uttered from the detectives mouth. From the snippets she could make out, she heard things like "...found on a rock by Sweet Water..." "...missing.. presumed dead.." and, "...Jason Blossom sure will be missed." By Pop.

When she pieced the sentences together, her fingers shook violently, and the milkshake glass she had been holding under the milkshake machine slipped from her fingers like putty, her lips parted in unadulterated shock.

Jason Blossom was presumed dead, and it was her fault.

[420 words so you know it had to be left here]

a/n: aaaaaaand there we have it! the beginning of Red! just reminding y'all, this was a sort of prelude to the actual story, just showing how Evangeline reacted to the news of Jason being missing.

Please vote and comment, it motivates me alot!!

Until tomorrow! -Maddie