Chapter 2: The Problem

When Draco woke up again, he wasn't surprised to see Madame Pomfrey leaning over him. He was surprised, however, to realize that the weird, shimmering light was still there, around the witch.

He let out a cough, to let her know that he was awake so that she could move away for him to sit up. He saw Snape and Potter were once again in the infirmary, a good distance away and talking heatedly. He sort of felt sorry for Potter, having Snape breathing down his neck like that. Honestly, he believed that Potter didn't put anything in their potion.

It would be un-Potter like, after all, and Draco liked to think that while they still fought constantly, their animosity had lessened to a lower degree. Potter was still an irritating git though, he added as an afterthought.

"I had originally planned to release you for lunch, Mr. Malfoy," Madame Pomfrey said, cutting his train of thought. "But it seems that Professor Snape still wants a word with you."

As if right on cue, a house-elf appeared with a crack and left a tray of food on his bedside table.

Madame Pomfrey spoke with the house-elf, but Draco wasn't really paying attention because Snape and Harry had realized that he was awake and was talking towards him now. Once again, as they neared, the shimmering around them became more and more pronounced.

He sighed. Really, his godfather could be as overprotective as his mother sometimes. He did not want to think about Snape cooing at him and asking if he'd eaten breakfast yet, so he quickly squashed that thought.

"Anything new, Mr. Malfoy?" Snape asked him, though his eyes were still rooted beside him, glaring at Potter who glared at the floor.

Madame Pomfrey gave her wand a few flicks, before turning to the Potions professor. "He's really fine, Professor. I don't see anything wrong with him."

Snape removed his gaze from Potter to look at him. Draco shrugged. "You're all still shining," he said, mainly because he knew that the expressions he was going to get would be amusing.

Sure enough, Madame Pomfrey looked confused as hell and Snape looked more stiff and twitchy than normal. He was surprised, though, when Potter grinned at him and chuckled.

Snape rounded on Potter immediately. "And what's so funny, Mr. Potter?"

Harry immediately came on the defensive, the grin off his face. "Nothing, Professor!"

At that, something happened. Draco's eyes widened as the clear light surrounding Potter didn't seem so clear now. It was a startling black. "Woah!" he yelped in surprise, jerking backwards towards the headboard of the bed.

All heads turned to him.

The black... thing flittered around Potter's figure, not enough to seem as if it were eating him, but still... there. Later, Draco would describe it as small, black Snitches fluttering together but now all he could do was gape at Harry.

Harry gaped at him right back.

"What is it, Mr. Malfoy?" Madame Pomfrey asked, instantly beside him and sounding troubled.

"What the bloody hell is that?" Draco burst out, waving at Potter frantically with one hand.

Confused and just a little bit shaken, Harry looked down at himself. "Um," he said, when all he saw was his normal robes. He had half-expected to see a baby acromantula gripping his torso with all his legs, but there was not even a normal spider on his robes. Not that he could see, since his robes were dark, so he ran his hands down his robes, looking for what it is Malfoy was seeing.

Cautiously, he looked at Snape, who looked as baffled as he did.

He turned his head towards Madame Pomfrey, almost pleadingly.