Chapter 18: Suspicions

Harry felt like he had just swallowed a brick that now settled uncomfortably heavy in his stomach. It wasn't Remus, it just wasn't, he was sure of that. Remus would never! Harry stared at Luna, eyes wide and face ashen. He could almost hear his blood rushing in his ears. Greyback was in Azkaban. If he had gotten out, surely it would have been all the rage in the Great Hall. Maybe... maybe some other werewolf wandered too close near Hogwarts. Yesterday was the full moon after all, maybe they couldn't help themselves. Harry needed to find Remus – now –

"Harry!" a voice from beside him yelled firmly, and Harry felt the fingers around his tighten almost painfully.

When Harry turned to him looking lost, Draco's heart almost broke. He lessened the pressure on Harry's hand, but he made sure it was still firm. Harry blinked at him, trying to get into focus, but he looked sharply at his friends. They were all staring at him, worried and almost fearful at what was happening.

With his other hand, Draco gently guided Harry's face to look only at him again. "Do you want to go to Morgan?" he asked.

Harry felt like a horrible person for wanting to check on Remus first. He knew he should check on Morgan though; a werewolf bite was no laughing matter. He started to nod, but Ron's voice stopped him.

"We'll take care of Morgan, mate," Ron said, looking at Harry knowingly. "You go check on Remus."

Harry let out the breath he didn't know he'd been holding. He nodded fervently. "Thank you," he breathed out, before setting off in a run.

And Draco knew this wasn't the right time to be feeling like this, but his heart fell full and close to bursting when Harry clutched his hand tighter and pulled him along without a second thought.

Not Weasley or Granger.

"Shouldn't we go after them?" Pansy said, voice a bit high-pitched and squeaky as she stared at the retreating backs of Harry and Draco.

Hermione shook her head firmly. "No. If Remus really did –" she paused, seeming to go a bit teary-eyed, before she shook her head and swallowed heavily. "—I'm not saying he did, but if – then it'll be better if he's confronted by less people first."

"We should go check if Morgan hasn't gone to the infirmary yet," Ron said hurryingly, even as he was already briskly walking towards the direction where Neville and Luna had come from.

Hermione, Neville and Luna followed suit, soon breaking into a run, but they were all pleasantly surprised when Blaise and Pansy ran after them as well.

"Don't think we're going Gryffindor on you guys," Pansy warned, yelling as they abruptly turned the corner.

If this were the right moment to do so, Hermione would have smiled and Ron would have thrown them a smirk.

After crossing the Viaduct, Neville forced himself to speak through the constriction of his lungs due to their fast running. "We tried knocking and yelling, but he wouldn't open the doors," he rushed out, breathless as Greenhouse 3 came into view. "He wouldn't even answer."

Half an hour ago, he and Luna had been walking towards the Forbidden Forest when Luna had suddenly stopped, turned, and pointed a slender finger out in the distance, eyes widening just slightly and mouth open as if she had just seen a very pretty unicorn. Neville, who had been in a good mood at being able to escape the Great Hall, turned around with a small, curious smile – that promptly dropped off his face when the white of the unicorn was nowhere to be found and the only color that he saw was red, that familiar dark red in the distance. Morgan had been clutching his leg, drenched all over and hobbling towards the Greenhouse. By the time Neville had managed to yell out his name, Morgan had already entered the greenhouse and locked it.