eighteen

Allie's POV

It's been 5 days. 5 days since Michael's incident. 5 days since we've heard voices. 5 days since we've seen them.

It's now the first day we're allowed to step off the hospital floor. Before now, with me still in a wheelchair, Michael and I were only allowed to wander this floor. They said we weren't healthy or stable enough to interact with other people.

But today, I'm not in a wheelchair. Today, I can move without wanting to cry in pain. Today, Michael and I can kiss without feeling pain. Today, we're semi normal and allowed to go to our new rooms.

Sure, it's not the most exciting thing I guess. We're being moved to the actually mental hospital part. We're going to be in the same room, as we can be separated. They're still trying to find a logical explanation as to why you physically can't put us in other rooms.

They still think we're insane. But we know we're not.

Right now Michael and I are standing by the elevator, holding hands. A nurse and Ms. Clifford are standing next to us, each holding one of our bags that Ms. Clifford was kind enough to get.

"Are you nervous?" Michael whispers.

"Extremely." I let out a soft, nervous laugh.

"I'll be right here for every step, okay? I love you." He squeezes my hand.

"I love you too." I smile and the elevator doors open.

We step inside, pressing the 2 floor button (we're currently on the 6th). I take a deep breath and close my eyes as I feel the elevator take us down.

The minute we step out I feel like I want to cry. There's a small lounge full of kids out age then lots of hallways that are full of rooms. The other people stare at us as two other nurses come to escort us to our rooms. We probably don't look the best right now, we both have bags under our eyes, our faces pale and our bodies still wrapped in bandages.

We reach our room which looked very similar to the hospital room, except without all the machines. There was actual carpet on the floor, more plants and the windows were still barred.

"This will be your room. It is under surveillance 24/7 so if you try anything you will get in trouble. Normally boys and girls don't stay in the same room but for some unknown reason, you two are an exception. You may wander this floor as much as you want. There is a food room, a TV room and a lounge room. Tomorrow will start your classes, as today is Sunday. You must be in your rooms by 10, light's out by 11. Understand?" One of the nurses asks us and we nod in response. "Good." She smiles and the nurses walk off.

Ms. Clifford runs to both of us and brings us into a massive hug. "Stay strong you two, okay? You're amazing people and I know you can get through this. I'm still working on convincing the doctor that you don't belong here."

"Okay, Mum." Michael's voice cracks a little.

"Stay safe, I have to go now. I love both of you." She places a kiss on our foreheads, gives us one last hug and then she's gone.

"What the hell are we going to do?" I sit on my bed with a sigh.

"Well we can't do anything but deal with it." Michael sits on the bed with me and grabs my hand. "We'll get through this together. We won't be here forever."

"I'm not just talking about this stupid mental hospital, Michael." I say sadly.

"We can get through anything together, Allie." He kisses my temple.

"I don't want to die." I whisper.

"You won't. I won't let them kill you. You're going to get out of this alive, I promise."