Chapter Twelve: Careless

"(Y/N)."

...

"(Y/N)...?

You heard a voice above you. You knew who it belonged to. But you were too tired to open your eyes and see for yourself.

You were laid upon the ground. From the feel of it, you were outside on the concrete. You wanted to shift around so you wouldn't be so uncomfortable. But you were too tired for that, too.

"I should of known something would of happened..." The voice mumbled. 

Now gaining some of your energy back, you started to squirm in your position. You sat up slowly not wanting to give yourself a head rush.

You let out a groan."Dr. Ziegler...?"

The blonde snapped her head up to looked at you."(Y/N)! Thank God your okay!" She began to examine your face."How are you feeling?"

You blinked a couple of times and looked above you. The sky was present in a light blue gradient. You were guessing it was morning time.

"I'm feel... fine." You were tired and really didn't want to talk. Whatever just happened drained all your energy.

Wait... what did happen?

You tried your best to recall the previous event. You remembered the "experiment" on Gabe but something happened afterwards. Something with darkness and smoke. Your hand caressed your neck as you felt an aching pain.

Dr. Ziegler noticed your action as examined your throat. Her eyes widened as she looked at it."(Y/N), do you know what happened? Your throat shows signs of a strangle."

Indeed your throat was bruised and red. Dr. Ziegler wondered if you had inflicted this pain upon yourself since no one else was present. Unless...

Dr. Ziegler grew worried."(Y/N), what happened in there? I need to know." She said sternly.

You were a bit taken back by the sudden change of her tone."I'm... not sure. I went back to check on Gabe then..." you squeezed your eyes shut trying your best to remember but to no avail."Sorry. I don't know what else happened. It's all hazy and dark."

The doctor furrowed her eyes."You told me you'd catch up, (Y/N), not go back to Gabriel." Her voice had a hint of anger. Why did she seem so upset all of a sudden?

A bit irritated with her attitude towards making sure your friend was okay, you sat up straighter."I can't just leave him there. You came into my room rushing me to leave making me worried. What'd you expect? I had to make sure my friend was okay" Your voice rising at the last sentence. Now you felt angry. But at the same time you didn't. You weren't sure where this anger was coming from.

Dr. Ziegler groaned."That's not the point. You are my assistant and you do as I tell you-"

"Well someone had to do it! I'm not gonna be like you and just run away from my problems. I care about others, unlike you." You cheeks turned red from your anger. You had absolutely no idea why you were saying these things. Yet, you didn't hold yourself back.

Dr. Ziegler jaw dropped at your statement. She had no idea what has gotten into you."Excuse me, Miss (L/N), but I do care for others. I'm a doctor for Christ's sake!"

"Oh, yeah? Then why didn't you care when I was leaving the lab constantly hacking up a storm? You didn't seem to care about how upset I was, either. All you did was think about your experiment and nothing else." You exhaled deeply.

The blonde didn't know how to respond. She did notice your odd behavior and your absence from the lab but she didn't think much of it because all her focus was on Gabriel. She also believed the way you were acting right now was not your true self.